Calm Before the Storm: Tips to Calm Yourself Down Before Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

‘Tis the season… for final exams (said in a dull and sarcastic tone). This is the time of year that is widely dreaded by the university student population. Whether it be final exams, projects, presentations, take-homes or papers, there is a substantial and overwhelming increase in your stress levels that can take a toll on your overall physical and mental health. Since I am one those students who tends to be excessively apprehensive about preparing for exams and subsequently writing them, I decided to lay out some useful tips that every student should attempt at including in their pre-exam rituals. After almost four years of experience, I have not only experienced the very diverse pre-exam writing practices, but I have also witnessed many as well. We are all culprits of last minute cramming moments before our pencils touch our Scantrons and this can be extremely stressful for your brain to be squeezing in last minute information. Instead, here are some strategies (either to be used moments before opening your exam booklet, or a few hours before) that could decompress the pressure of exams and enable your mind to function effectively and efficiently:

Deep Breaths

This tip may seem intuitive and highly repetitive but, it’s quite magical. Three or four deep breaths can transition the high-stress physiology of your body into a tranquil state of mind. Sometimes if the nerves are uncontrollable, stress can translate into physical cues, such as observable shaking or clouded cognitive functioning. It is important to note that stress is healthy; it motivates us to evade danger and overcome obstacles (like a final exam). However, stress and anxiety well above that healthy threshold can be impairing. Deep breathing clears your mind, minimizes or halts the shaking and, evidently, nourishes your brain with more oxygen! Instead of ruminating on possible questions you could be asked, subdue your racing thoughts by focusing on breathing.

Drink a warm beverage

This next tip must be used with caution. Speaking from personal experience, I would highly discourage an anxious student to consume a caffeine-loaded beverage, like coffee or the notorious energy drinks. Any experienced university student can understand that if you are already in an anxiety-provoking state with raging levels of adrenaline coursing through your veins, you do NOT need an extra stimulant. If you are miserably trying to revive yourself from the minimal sleep you got the night before cramming for your exam, then that can be an exception. Especially for the fall semester final exam period, you may need a warm beverage to defrost from the blizzard you were blessed with on foot to your exam. I recommend hot chocolate, hot apple cider or tea, but I prefer the latter. Tea specifically contains substances called tannins which have been established to have calming effects. This can naturally assist with silencing the enduring nervousness you can’t seem to shake. 

Stretch it out

I’m not sure how valid this strategy is but, personally, I find some light stretching can be tremendously beneficial for preparing your body for the academic feat. If your inflexibility is insurmountable (I get it, it’s not for everyone), refer to the deep breathing that I mentioned earlier. Naturally, one is forced to be seated for an extended period of time during a final assessment. Your stagnant body can ache and cramp up when you are sedentary for a prolonged period of time. Stretching can also be particularly useful during your studying regimen. Moreover, it is known that stretching introduces heightened blood flow. This increased blood flow also elevates your energy levels resulting from increased blood circulation. Increased blood flow also means more oxygenated blood to the brain (your most important tool)!

Pump yourself up!

Just to clarify, I am not suggesting you get a pump from an intensive work-out right before your final academic commitment to a particular course. Instead, boost your confidence and give yourself a pep talk. You have committed countless hours to your preparations and sacrificed far too much of your sanity to not come out of this challenge on top! You deserve to succeed and you will! With this, reinforce your confidence by listening to motivating music, like “Eye of the Tiger” or “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.” Be creative and create a pre-exam playlist. Give your mum a quick call and ask her to boast about all of your accomplishments. Confidence, determination and tenacity are key ingredients for superior performance!

As I mentioned previously, each of these strategies can be applied to a wide variety of academic commitments and assessments. Whether you are painstakingly writing that final paragraph of your final paper, or gathering some pride before your group presentation, you can practice a combination of these rituals. Also, don’t forget to reward yourself when you’ve victoriously conquered final exam season!

Oh and also, Happy Holidays!

Sources: Cover