kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Who doesn’t love guacamole? It contains some of the healthiest ingredients that we can be feeding our bodies, and this concoction is also very satisfying and easy to make. It incorporates vegetables that we don’t seem to get enough of in our day-to-day lives and is packed with fresh flavors in every bite. For those of you who don’t like avocado, or love it, and want to try something different, this recipe is for you.

Avocados pose incredible benefits to our overall health. They are very high in potassium, which aids in healthy heart function and helps to reduce high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart attacks. The healthy fats in avocados also help the body to better absorb nutrients like vitamins A, E, D and K. These essential vitamins are all fat-soluble vitamins, meaning they are best absorbed into the body when consumed with heart-healthy fats. With these bonuses, as well as a ton of fiber, this guac is a fantastic recipe to incorporate into your healthy diet, and is a no-fail crowd pleaser.

Hungry? Keep reading…

Ingredients (for about 4 people):

• 4 or 5 large, ripe avocados
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ yellow or white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (feel free to add more or less depending on your preference. Any diced tomatoes will work well).
  • ½ red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 or 2 handfuls fresh cilantro, chopped
  • ½ lime, juiced
  • Coarse salt, pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Cut avocados along their length, and remove the pits (save 1 or 2 pits for the guacamole, and add at the end. Keeping a pit or two in the mixture helps to preserve the avocados and prevents them from browning quickly). Scoop out the avocado and place into a large bowl.
  2. Chop onion and mince garlic, then add into the avocados. Begin mashing the avocado, onion, and garlic mixture to create a smooth consistency. This will help to release the flavours of the garlic and onion into the avocado. Mash the mixture to your desired consistency – some like it chunky, some like it smooth- you do you.
  3. Chop tomatoes, red pepper, and cilantro, then stir into avocado mixture.
  4. Squeeze half a lime into the mix. Feel free to add more lime juice for more of a kick.
  5. Add coarse salt and pepper

This guacamole is fantastic with white or blue corn chips, sliced carrots, red peppers, or celery. With a wide range of nutritious benefits, this guacamole recipe helps you sneak in more vegetables, but with more flavour than your basic guac. Because of the high fat content, it will keep you fuller for longer and will help to prevent low blood sugar, mindless eating, and binge eating.

Give this recipe a try, and let us know in the comments below what you think. Good luck!

Sources
1, 2, 3, 4, 5