This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Go to Barre Code they said. It will be fun they said.

This past week I decided to go with my friend to The Barre Code in Ann Arbor and finally try out this fitness craze that every girl in Ann Arbor seems to be obsessing over.

Due to scheduling conflicts and my lack of motivation to move my body in any fitness related way during the day, on Tuesday at 7 am I found myself trudging through the snow in sneakers on my way to my first Barre class.

The night before, I made the poor decision to begin watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days at 11:38 pm. And if you’ve ever seen this movie you would know that one does not simply fall asleep on young Mathew McConahay halfway through the movie. So when my alarm when off a mere 5 and a half hours after I had gone to bed, I wasn’t feeling the most “zen”.

On the walk there I contemplated about how the class may go. I thought to myself I go to the gym about 2/3 of the times I tell myself I’ll go to the gym, so how hard can this class really be? That is a solid 66 percent workout rate right there–Tay you’ve got this!

I was wrong.

I walk into this mystical studio that looks like it was made for an Instagram photoshoot. Pink polka dots and colorful quotes covered all the walls. Every worker I encountered was so kind and inviting, only further confirming my initial thoughts that this couldn’t be too hard while all the people here are smiling.

The class was fifty minutes long and from start to finish you are moving your body in ways I have not experienced before. Using one’s own body weight you push your own personal limits and make gains all while listening to Meghan Trainor’s, “Me Too”. At the end of the time you slow it down with some classic John Mayor Pandora station and streach out all the bad.

Although the experience was much more challenging than I expected I loved it! It was a great workout that I felt the repercussion from for days to come. I would recommend this to anyone who dares think that Barre classes are not a real workout.

I mean if you would burn calories, make gains, and listen to top 40 pop while an instructor is telling you how strong and wonderful you are, wouldn’t you want to do it again as well?

So, go to Barre Code I said. It will be fun I said and I mean it.

Images courtesy of: Yelp, A Sweat Life, Fitastic Vegan Life. 

I spend a lot of time watching videos of Pandas and drinking Diet Coke