Important Things to Remember during the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

2020 has been a year of uncertainty and change. Unfortunately, it’s not over quite yet. This might cause the holidays to look a bit different this year. If that’s the case, I encourage you to keep reading. 

When I think about the end of the semester, returning to my hometown, the winter weather approaching, and all the other things that accompany the holiday season, I can’t help but feel a slight sense of uncertainty. 

Personally, my holiday season is set to look almost brand new. In order to stay healthy and safe, my family and I had to make some tough decisions. We’ve decided that decade long family traditions are going to have to be put on hold. I am going to be home for break much longer than usual. The pandemic is keeping me from seeing not only distant relatives, but close family too. And, as you can imagine, the list could continue. 

woman in winter clothing is sitting outside in the snow
Photo by freestocks.org from Pexels
However, no matter what holidays you choose to celebrate, or how your winter is going to play out this year, here are a few important things to keep in mind… 

Things Might Look Different… and that’s OK

Let’s be honest, 2020 as a whole has been completely different and something that no one could have ever anticipated. This time of the year is not exempt from this. Try not to let the fact that the holiday season might look a little different spin you off your axis. Take moments as they come and turn them into memories. 

You never know, 2020 might just be the year to create new traditions. 

Embrace Change

I know for me, it is extremely hard to get accustomed to a routine, a place, a job, a school, or a town, and especially frustrating to have it all change so fast. I’m sure I can’t be the only one who feels this way. For some, this abrupt change can even lead to anxiety, stress, worry, and/or fear. 

However, my advice is to take things day by day. When you focus on one day at a time, instead of overwhelming yourself by analyzing the big picture, you just might be able to find enjoyment in the changes that are to come and possibly even realize that this change of pace, atmosphere, or scenery could turn out to be a good thing. 

Surround Yourself with People You Love 

One of the perks of the holiday season, is that it is usually a time where you can reconnect with old friends and family.

Even if you can’t be together, go the extra mile to send a text to a friend or pick up the phone and call a loved one. Not only will it make you feel better, but I can guarantee it will make their day as well. 

After all, that’s the glory of living in an era so enthralled with technology. We have the ability to reach out, reconnect, and rekindle at the touch of a button. 

Make Time for Something you Love 

Similarly to surrounding yourself with the people who feed your soul, it is important to make time for the things, experiences, and opportunities that you love as well. Have you been craving that coffee from Starbucks, but have been holding back because of the price? Treat yourself! Do you enjoy hot yoga classes, but have been feeling like you fell off the wagon during quarantine? Sign up for a class! Does going for a walk in the fresh air help you feel grounded? Then you better make it a priority to aside some time and head outside!

Don’t deprive yourself from the things that you genuinely enjoy. 

It doesn’t have to be stressful 

Often times, when people think of the upcoming holiday season, they get a quick rush of anxiety and stress. The thought of all of the things one has to do, stores he/she has to go to, and/or people he/she has to see, etc. is enough to leave any feeling overwhelmed. 

However, it doesn’t have to be like that. Like I mentioned before, take things one day at a time. Leave things behind that are starting to feel more draining, than beneficial. Pride this holiday season on only making time for the things that truly feed your soul.

Giving is better than receiving 

I know it sounds cliché, but it’s true. The joy that comes from giving a gift, paying it forward, or even handing out compliments is unbeatable. 

I know the word “giving” can often be associated with money and buying things. However, that is not the case. Give the gift of kindness. Give the gift of compliments. Give the gift of simply being a friend. At the end of the day, these are far more powerful and appreciated than anything money could buy. 

Be the reason someone smiles today. 

And after all, everything eventually comes full circle. You will get what you put out into the universe. You will attract what you portray. 

Be Kind to Yourself 

Hopefully if you can cut out the seasonal stress, you can also cut out some of the pressure that comes along with it. Remember that you don’t have to do everything. You don’t have to be perfect.  

I touched upon giving to others, which follows similarly with being kind to others. However, you can’t forget to be kind to yourself too. Make yourself a priority. 

The most important thing you can do this holiday season is take care of yourself. 

Be Present 

Life is not only fragile, but extremely unexpectable. Don’t waste time scrolling through social media and comparing your experiences to those on the internet. Don’t waste time wishing you were somewhere else. Don’t waste time wishing things could be different. 

I know it is easier said than done but try to make it a priority this holiday season to live in the moment. Don’t rush anything. Take each day for exactly what it is. 

You truly never know what tomorrow is going to bring.

Save Time for Reflection 

With the new year coming, I highly recommend setting aside some time for reflection. This can be as simple as just a few quick thoughts or a more intricate journal entry. Make it a priority to figure out what worked for you this year and what you want to change. Reflect on all the good that happened, but also, don’t forget to acknowledge the bad. 

Be wholeheartedly appreciative and thankful, not only for where you are today, but for how far you’ve come, and for how much further you’re going to go. 

girl journaling
Photo by picjumbo_com from Pixabay
As you can see, in the short piece, I have covered a wide range of topics and reminders. If some tips don’t apply to you, that’s okay! Pick and choose what resonates with you and run with it. At the end of the day, there is no playbook on how to navigate the wintertime, the holiday season, or even change as a whole. It’s just everyone trying their best. 

My hope for you is that despite everything going on, you can still enjoy the holiday season – without stress, without worry, and without anxiety. Remember, you will receive what you put out. If you go into the holiday’s with cheer, high spirits, and an upbeat energy, you will get that all back, tenfold. 

Alexis Rose

U Mass Amherst '22

Currently a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Alexis is a double major in the English and Special Education departments. Aside from writing, she enjoys a good iced coffee, a new TV series, going to yoga classes, and reading a book on the beach.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst