Healthy Eating on a Budget: A College Girl’s Guide to Shopping at Trader Joes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

College food has come a long way. Award winning dining halls (like the ones here at UMass!) are frequent at universities all across the country. Many of them have healthy, versatile and tasty options every single day. Nothing beats the convenience of walking out of your dorm and into a building of endless options of fully prepared meals. But when it’s time to leave the dorms and enter the world of off-campus living, suddenly the once plentiful options are gone.

As exciting as it is to have your very own first place, the culinary side of things can be a little scary. Not knowing what you can afford to buy, or how to cook it can leave a girl feeling stuck in a world of pasta, or anything that can be cooked in a toaster oven. Step away from the bagel bites, ladies! It IS possible to eat healthy on a budget! And it IS possible to learn to cook healthily for yourself! Enter Trader Joe’s.

375 Russell St. Hadley, MA 01035 (Hampshire Mall)

Trader Joe’s is the most economical and diverse place to shop if you want the most variety, but are on a budget. Eating healthy doesn’t mean spending more money, it just means spending smarter. TJs is not intimidating in the same way supermarkets can be with their fluctuating sale prices. Why? It isn’t a super market! Well, at least in size. Trader Joes has no PA system or aisle complex. It is actually just a really big, well organized pantry, with a cool vibe and design. The store organizes their items in a logical and convenient way, so if you know your mission (have a list), it results in a quick and painless trip to get what you need, and fast! Trader Joe’s also is different than major grocery supply chains because they buy DIRECTLY aka “trade” from suppliers to get the best price, and they bargain to do so. This results in major savings for us!

So now the question is what to buy? Here is a list of possible meals and snacks you can buy for under $70, all at Trader Joe’s, that will last the average college girl at least 2 weeks! (Yup, that’s $35 a week!)

Breakfast: Start the day off right!

• Almond Milk
  • Mini Wheat Bagels*
  • Almond Butter
  • Banana/Apple
  • Eggs

Total: $11

*TJs has awesome gluten free options too!

Lunch: An energy packed salad to pick you up in the middle of the day!

• Spinach
  • Chicken
  • Tomatoes on the Vine
  • Parmesean Cheese/ Goat Cheese
  • Cilantro Dressing (SO good!)
  • Red onion
  • Avocado

Total: $18

Snacks:

• Kale Chips (or make your own from fresh kale!)
  • Sesame Sticks
  • Sweet Potato chips
  • Veggie sticks
  • Almond Chocolate Cashew mix
  • A wide variety of fresh and dried fruit

Total: $18

Dinner: Quick and easy stir fry!

• Ground Turkey
  • Frozen stir fry veggies
  • Rice
  • Soyaki Sauce (Another TJs original item, so delish!)

Total: $12

Misc:

• Coconut oil! This newfound cooking buddy is full of wonderful properties and even some household uses! Consider replacing your other cooking oils with TJs coconut oil for a tasty hint of coconut in every meal and tons of other health benefits.

Total: $4

Seasonal:

• Because Trader Joes tries to buy local, that means great seasonal options!
  • Butternut squash- great for roasting as a side, and yummy soup, and so much more.
  • Local apples: great for your classics like apple pie and apple crisp, or for a new twist on an old treat.
  • And of course, apple cider!

Total: $8

Lastly, don’t forget your reusable bags! (Trader Joe’s has a very cute selection!)

Happy grocery shopping, Collegiettes!

Becky Jackson

U Mass Amherst

Becky Jackson is an Environmental Science major minoring in education at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Her favorite activities include being outdoors, hiking, hanging out on her farm at home, going to the beach,chilling by wood stoves in her jammies and working out. Her other passions include social justice and education, and she hopes to one day become a High School science teacher. She loves to laugh and sing occasionally whilst playing the guitar rather poorly. Writing is a big passion of hers and she is so excited to be controbuting to Her Campus UMass Chapter!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst