Fit and Relaxed: 5 Ways Working Out Reduces Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Balancing five classes, internships, a job, working out, a social life and anything else you have going on in your life can be a difficult circus act. We have got a lot on our plates, Collegiettes. It’s no wonder we get stressed out so easily.

Many people can list ways to relieve stress, such as making to-do lists, working out, taking a half hour for you, doing yoga, and so on. For those of you that have tried any of these ideas, you know that some (if not most of them) work really well. But why do they work? What is the actual science behind the feeling you get when you cross something off a list or when you go on a run, or when you laugh? Stress can heavily impact your mind and body, but luckily we have a favorite cure: hitting the gym and sweating it out.

I know that whenever I go for a run, take one of the wonderful gym classes that UMass offers, or participate in a yoga class, I feel 100% better. This is especially true on days where I have a lot of stuff running through my head; taking an hour really helps me out and makes me not think about all the things I have to do while helping me get fit at the same time. Here are five reasons why working out is great for stress:

1. Working out releases endorphins. Endorphins are a neurotransmitter in our brain that people like to call the “feel-good” neurotransmitter. They also contribute to getting a good night of sleep, which is extremely important.
  2. We have two chemicals in our body that cause stress: cortisol and norepinephrine. During exercise, these nasty chemicals get burnt away.
  3. Exercise improves our alertness and concentration while reducing fatigue. In the middle of the day, I know the tiredness starts to hit some people, so even taking a half hour to get outside or run on a treadmill can wake you up!
  4. By focusing on the task at hand you forget about everything else going on and come out more calm and optimistic.
  5. By releasing dopamine and serotonin, exercising stabilizes our mood and makes us happier!

Sometimes it is hard to fit in working out while you’re running around, but there are a lot of ways to fit it in. If you calculate all your time spent on your phone and computer, looking at Twitter and Facebook, you’ll find that the time you’ve most likely wasted could have been dedicated to a good workout. If you watch TV for more than an hour a day, take that extra time to work out. If it helps, grab a friend to join you – it will give you time to catch up and you will probably enjoy the workout more. Instead of taking an hour at lunch, maybe run for a half hour, and the half hour can be used to eat. If your day is really busy, try to slip your workout in during morning or night hours. You can also try to exercise in those gap hours between classes: wear your gym clothes to class, or pack them in a bag, and stop in at the gym.

Working out has a lot of benefits to help us with our stressful lives, so take some time to fit it in! Make a schedule so you know you’re getting it in a couple times a week. Stay fit, Collegiettes!

Information for this article was found here.

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

I am a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst majoring in Psychology and Communications. I joined Her Campus because my roommate is also involved in the club and told me all about it. I also have not had a lot of college experience in college writing and thought it would be a great opportunity to learn a different style and better my writing in general. I am also involved in the Lions Club and sisters on the runway.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst