Wellness > Health

Clumsy and Unathletic: Three Workout Classes I Loved At The Rec That If I Can Do, You Can Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I would not consider myself graceful by any means. There is a reason I was a theatre kid in high school, quite frankly, fitness was never my forte. This semester, I made a promise to myself to work out more. I have a lot of anxiety when it comes to working out, and honestly just don’t know what to do besides walk on the treadmill, so classes have been a must-do for me. However, this also means I have tried out my fair share of classes offered at the Rec Center, including some that I loved and some that just weren’t for me. Here’s my compiled list of the top three classes I would definitely take again and would 100% recommend anyone who also struggles with anxiety like me when working out.

rec SPin with Meghan m.

I know what you’re probably thinking that I’m starting the list off with a spin class, but I promise you this rec spin class is so worth it. Spin with Meghan is about an hour long and includes an emphasis on cardio and arms. She is incredibly sweet and genuinely one of my favorite spin instructors (not that they all aren’t great). She got me into spin last year and I try my best to attend her classes when I can, even though they don’t quite match up with my schedule this semester. If you are new to spin and looking to see if it’s for you, definitely take her class. Bring a water bottle with you, because you will be working hard! That being said, she’s super beginner friendly and it’s an amazing workout — you’ll feel brand new afterward.

When it’s taught: Tuesdays at 8:30 a.m. and Wednesdays at 4 p.m.

Meghan also has an Instagram (@meghanmaratea) if you’re interested in staying updated with her!

Pilates with Kaylyn

So, I honestly went into pilates thinking it was going to be very “mom-core” like Zumba (sorry to my Zumba fans, but my mom did Zumba all the time when I was growing up, so I just can’t see it the same), but it was not what I was expecting at all. My abs genuinely hurt for a week. Kaylyn was super nice and walked me through everything, even though she left me wondering how anyone even bends like that. The workout is about an hour long and a full body workout, a great alternative if you’re like me and don’t know where to start with a rack of weights or equipment. It includes two or three pound weights, a yoga mat, and sometimes a red ball for glute bridges. All equipment is provided by the Rec Center itself. Definitely worth a try, I’ve become a regular in her classes!

When it’s taught: Tuesdays at 5:45 p.m.

Also, Kaylyn has a “Spin & Pilates” class Mondays at 4 p.m. if you’re looking for the best of both worlds!

yoga with Francesca

Taking a yoga class with Francesca will make you feel like a brand new person. She is so kind and encouraging and the music she plays is some of my favorites. Most of her yoga classes are about an hour long and focus on healing the body. You do poses like warrior, child’s, and downward dog through extended flows. It is always a relaxing full-body workout that leaves you feeling better about the day. Whenever I can attend one of Francesca’s classes, I take the chance to do so. Not only does it help the body, but it helps the mind, too.

When it’s taught: Tuesdays at 8 a.m., Thursdays at 8 a.m., Fridays at 9 a.m., and Sundays at 5:30 p.m.

Honorable mentions
  • Rec Spin with Samira on Mondays at 5:15 p.m. (with Tara) and Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m.
  • Rec Spin and Abs with Jess S. and Ellie on Mondays at 7:45 p.m. (Jess also teaches her own spin class Thursdays at 4 p.m. that I love!)

There are so many classes at the Rec Center that I obviously haven’t tried them all, however, these are the classes that I took that I also really enjoyed. This being said, all of the instructors at the Rec Center do an amazing job; I could never do what they do. If you end up taking one of these classes and enjoy it as much as I did, let them know! They work hard and do an amazing job, especially in making you feel comfortable while working out.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Megan Allen

U Mass Amherst '25

Megan is a junior at UMass Amherst, double majoring in Community Education & Social Change and Psychology. Outside of writing, Megan enjoys reading, taking a fitness class, and drinking an iced chai with oat milk. She is so excited to be a part of Her Campus this semester!