Wellness > Mental Health

Can a Virtual Bird Really Help with Self-Care? – My Favorite Apps to Create a Better State of Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s be honest, sometimes it can be hard to take care of ourselves when we have midterms and essays to worry about. Technology can be a hindrance to self-care and is not the best tool for everybody. However, I think that incorporating different apps into your daily routine can actually be helpful, especially when you consider how much time we spend on our phones. By downloading apps that aid your mental health, you can make the most of your screen time as you take care of your mind while also having fun. 

My new favorite app was a recommendation from my roommate and fellow Her Campus member, Katherine Dickey! She told me about Finch, an app that gives you a baby bird to take care of by taking care of yourself. You get to name the bird and add tasks that you can check off throughout the day, such as making your bed, taking a shower, and writing an affirmation to start your day. For each task that you complete, you give your bird energy to go on adventures and discover new things. These tasks also give you gems that you can use to buy your bird furniture for its house or accessories to wear. This aspect is what makes Finch feel less like a self-care app and more like a fun game that you can reach for whenever you need a bit of a lift. Whenever you click it open, it will give you an inspirational quote and makes you rate your emotions at that very moment. This always makes me stop and tune in with myself. Sometimes, I find myself going into autopilot and not stopping to think about what I am thinking, so this is another part of the app that I enjoy. My favorite part, though? Being able to connect with friends and have your birds visit each other by sending motivational greetings like hugs, a note saying that you appreciate them, or a reminder to get a drink of water. I love getting to send and receive these messages because it is a reminder that we are all on this self-care journey together.

Another app that I’ve known about for longer and have used quite frequently is a popular meditation brand called Headspace. This is an amazing one to get if you are looking to start your meditation journey or if you’ve been doing it for years and want to be held more accountable for daily practice. I started using it every day a few months ago when I learned that they offer a student discount for only $9.99 per year, compared to the normal price of $69.99 per year. Being a girl who loves a good deal, I obviously had to try it out and it has already been well worth the inexpensive price. Headspace makes the app very customizable to whatever mindfulness technique you find useful by including not only meditations, but also visual exercises, physical activities, and longer sleep meditations that act in a similar fashion to bedtime stories. My favorite part of this app has been its courses which essentially lays out a meditation for you to do every day for a certain number of days. These are usually very short and almost always under 20 minutes, which is not too much to fit into a busy schedule. I have definitely found that my mindfulness has improved since I started using it every day!

I hope this gave you a couple of ideas on how you can use your phone to actually help your mental health and give you a better state of mind!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Kate Dahlman

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior English major with a minor in business and a certificate in Professional Writing and Technical Communication at UMass Amherst. She is very passionate about all things literature! When she isn't studying or writing an essay, she loves to read, cook, and work out. She loves being apart of Her Campus at UMass!