LoLoestrinFE NewsletterGraphic?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
LoLoestrinFE NewsletterGraphic?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

A Stressless Thanksgiving Break: The Ultimate Guide to Relaxation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Thanksgiving Break is the perfect time to de-stress from the hectic semester I know you’ve been having. With midterms finally done and right before finals week approaches, you want to have a relaxing, stress-free break. Here is my ultimate guide to having the perfect stressless Thanksgiving break.

Family movie & game night

Most students go home for break to go see friends and family. After the “catching up” conversations are wrapped up, an extremely fun way to keep the festivities going is to have a family movie and game night! Whether it is Monopoly, Apples-to-Apples, Scrabble, or even a puzzle, this has always been my favorite part of being on break with my family. Puzzles, in particular, are my favorite thing to do while watching a movie. Pick out a comedy movie such as The Pink Panther or try an action movie such as James Bond. To top it all off, consider drinking some tea or even hot chocolate — don’t forget to add in marshmallows and whip cream! This wholesome event is an extremely relaxing time while still spending time with your loved ones, and one of my all time favorites.

tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

shop ’til you drop

What better way to destress than to go do some retail therapy! The ultimate shopping spree is extremely needed and deserving after all the hard work you have spent studying for exams. The best part about shopping this time of the year are the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals! The savings you are getting are incredible! You can buy that winter jacket you’ve been saving up for, that dress you’ve had in your shopping cart for months, or even the perfect swimsuit for the summer! While you are shopping during the late fall season, there are year-round items just waiting to be bought! Another bonus to retail therapy is that you can get all your Christmas gifts early and save money! Now instead of stressing about what to get your mother or best friend the week before Christmas when everything is sold out, you can get ahead of the stress and do it a month in advance.

“mental health” day

While shopping and watching movies with your family are nice, it is also important to take this Thanksgiving break to check in with yourself. Pick one day that you have absolutely nothing planned on your calendar. No appointments, no plans, nothing. Take the time to wake up a little bit later than usual, making sure that you feel refreshed however not too early, ensuring you still get to enjoy the morning. Consider reading a book instead of picking up your phone first thing in the morning to cleanse your mind. One of my favorites recently has been yoga for half an hour in the morning to wake up my body. Truly spend the day for yourself without any outside distractions that can stir up some stress. Make your favorite meal or a new recipe you’ve been claiming you haven’t had the time to try. After all, this designated day is for you to take your time and not rush since you have no lingering appointments! An important part of this day is to take some time to turn your phone on silent and truly disconnect from the outside world. Give yourself the break that is desperately needed!

Many students, including myself, try to cram anything and everything to do during Thanksgiving break. I’ve tried to book all doctor, dentist, and hair appointments during this time and it turns into spending more time out and about instead of truly taking the time I need to myself. While this is a minimal list and many more activities can be done to create a stressless Thanksgiving break, these are a few of my favorite remedies that have truly helped me be less stressed.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sofia Giannakopoulos

U Mass Amherst '24

I'm a senior, legal studies major and political science minor at UMass Amherst. In my free time I enjoy writing, hanging out with friends, and reading a good book.