8 Moves to Get You Fit and Fabulous!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You’re plugging away on the elliptical, doing your 100 crunches daily, and tossing around the pink dumbbells for a bit and still you’re not any fitter! Frustrating, I know. But the issue is not how much you’re doing, but rather what you’re doing. Cardio machines, sit-ups, and light weights are largely ineffective because you actually do little work. These 8 moves will work on all areas of fitness: speed, strength, cardio, power, and core- and will get you into tip-top shape and have you looking fABulous!

1) Plank

There is no better core exercise than the plank! While crunches work only the lower abs, planks target all of the ab muscles. And you’ll get a bonus as you also work your shoulders, hips, back, and quads. There are so many variations on plank that you’ll work your abs from every angle to build a strong core (which will benefit your overall fitness!) and reveal a flat, toned stomach. Proper form is important to get the benefits of plank. Make sure to keep your hips tucked under and your butt OUT of the air!

Move It: Start off with a 30 second forearm plank (work your way up to a 1-1.5 minute hold) then add in 30 second intervals of side planks, side plank hip-ups, plank punches, and pike ups.

2) Roll Back with Medicine Ball

Here’s an upgrade on the classic Pilates move “Roll Like a Ball.” This is great for strengthening your spine, stabilizing the pelvic girdle, improving balance and coordination, and with the addition of the weighted medicine ball, you’ll engage your core even more! Start by standing in front of your mat, medicine ball held close to your chest. Roll back onto your mat until your shoulders hit the mat (bring your knees to your chest) and then use your momentum to roll yourself back up to standing (Tip: Use your core). To make it harder, add a jump!

Move It: Aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps.

3) Goblet Squat

We all want toned, shapely legs and glutes, right? Of course! And the best way to do that is by picking up the weights. Yes, ladies, spend some time in the weight room. Forget the myth that lifting makes you bulky – in fact, if you lifted, you’d look the way you want to look!

Hold a kettlebell or dumbbell vertically against your chest and position your feet slightly wider than shoulder width. Sit back and down as far as you can go while keeping your feet flat on the floor, keeping your chest up. At the bottom, brush your elbows down the inside of your legs and push your knees out. Shoot back up and stand tall.

Move It: Aim for 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

4) Box Jumps

If you want to increase power and strength in your lower body, you need box jumps! Plus, they’re fun (well, I think so anyway)! Place a plyo box about an arm’s length in front of you and assume a relaxed stance with arms down and legs slightly bent. Use your arms to propel you forward and upward as you jump onto the box, landing with both feet simultaneously. Jump or step back down.

Move It: Aim for 3 sets of 15-20 reps.

5) Renegade Rows

If you’re still afraid of lifting for fear of getting bulky, try this functional fitness move for strong, sexy arms. You won’t be lifting heavy enough to get bulky, just lean and toned! Start in a push-up position with feet shoulder-width apart and a dumbbell in each hand. Pull the right dumbbell toward the obliques, keeping it close to the torso; lower and repeat on the left side. To make it harder, add a push-up in between!

Move It: Aim for 3 sets of 10-12 reps.

6) Shoulder Tap Push-Ups

Taking a note from one of my favorite celebrity trainers, Shaun T, this improved push-up works your core stability, balance, and shoulders giving you an edge when you do other floor work. Begin in a push-up position (knees on the ground if you need to) and tap your left shoulder with your right hand, then your right shoulder with your left hand and then do a push-up.

Move It: Aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps.

7) Football Shuffle-Burpee

Yes, you’re going to train like athletes do! This move will have you huffing and puffing after a minute, but your cardiovascular fitness will greatly improve! Start a timer for one minute. Shuffle to the left, shuffle to the right, and then drop back into plank and then quickly jump back up (aka a burpee). Focus on form over speed at first!

Move It: One minute of this is all you’ll need!

8) Pike Push-Ups

Another Shaun T classic, the pike push-up is the secret to strong, sculpted shoulders! Assume a push-up position and then walk your feet into pike position (stay on your toes) and turn your hands so they’re facing each other. Keep this position as you do a push-up, dropping your head to your hands. For a challenge, raise one foot off the ground!

Move It: Aim for 3 sets of 12-15 reps.

Stay fit, collegiettes™!

Sarah Campisi

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst