10 Alternative Ways to Stay Active this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Picture this: you’re back at UMass after an amazing, relaxing, sun-kissed, four-month-long summer. You’ve finally eaten at the new Hamp, your class schedule is almost finalized, and there’s no better feeling than being reunited with your best friends after nearly a whole semester apart. You look out your window to a beautiful sunny morning—just the right September temperature of in between summer and fall—and throw on a cute outfit you splurged on with your final paycheck of the summer. Everything seems perfect—until reality sinks in and you realize not every Saturday can be spent day-drinking your liver away at Puffer’s Pond or the Townehouses. Though the excitement of coming back to school can be overwhelming, one thing hasn’t changed: you still need exercise! It’s easy to lose sight of the importance of fitness coming back to school, especially when your semester sleep-schedule kicks in and the last place you’d want to find yourself is at the gym on a random night. Lucky for you all, there are tons of different ways to stay active this semester besides a tedious run on the treadmill (although sometimes Kardashians re-runs do make it a little less boring!)

1. Group Fitness Classes

While the recreation center for many can be daunting and competitive, a few great ways to take advantage of what our state-of-the-art gym has to offer are the group fitness classes! With over twenty different options, you can find extra-motivating classes at nearly any hour of the day, such as Cardio Kickboxing, Zumba, Spinsanity, and tons more! Check out the class descriptions here to see which one is right for you.

2. Nearly Naked Mile

On October 18th, UMass is hosting their annual Nearly Naked Mile from the Northeast Quad to the Southwest Concourse. Participants are encouraged to donate articles of clothing, and then run the race nearly naked (and who doesn’t love being naked?) There is a small registration fee that includes a free t-shirt if you sign-up in advance, and all of the donations go to the Amherst Survival Center. What better way is there to give back to your community and get some exercise at the same time?

3. Central Rock Gym

Located just a ways down Route 9 past Target, this gym offers numerous rock climbing walls if you’re looking to spice up your work out routine. Rock climbing is great for building muscle, and it’s also just a fun activity to do with your friends! For only $12, students can buy day passes and climb as much as they want.

4. Walk to End Alzheimers

The Beta Eta chapter of Sigma Kappa at UMass is walking in the “Walk to End Alzheimers” on September 29th! Come out and show your support for them or walk it for yourself in Holyoke, MA. There will be a DJ, they’re serving breakfast, and there’ll be plenty of live music and other forms of entertainment all morning long.

5. Walk Around a Different College Campus

You probably hear about the Five College Consortium a hundred times a semester, but have you ever thought to go explore one of the colleges yourself? Smith College, Mount Holyoke College, Hampshire College, and Amherst College are all a short (free!) PVTA bus ride away. Why not bundle up in a cozy fall sweater, grab a Pumpkin Spiced Latte, and hit the campuses! It’s a great chance to get a change of scenery and check out how some other collegiates are doing fall in the area.

6. Apple Picking at Atkins Farm

Atkins Farm in Amherst is an awesome way to get outside and enjoy the crisp fall air! Walking up and down lanes of apple trees is a great opportunity to enjoy autumn in Amherst—and I’m sure your body wouldn’t hate one or two of those delicious apple cider donuts!

7. March of Dimes 5K Run hosted by Phi Sigma Kappa

Yet another wonderful opportunity to raise money for a great cause while getting some exercise, the brothers of Phi Sigma Kappa will be hosting their 2nd annual 5K Run for March of Dimes on October 27th. With your help, the brothers hope to raise money to help fund research to reduce premature birth, birth defects, and infant mortality.

8. Rent Bicycles

If you’re looking to get out and around town one afternoon this fall, check out the UMass Amherst Bike Share Program in the Student Union to check out a bike—for free! Just be sure to bring your student ID and enjoy all the sites that Amherst has to offer. Alternatively, the Hampshire Bicycle Exchange on University Drive offers Bike Rentals too.

9. Ski and Board Club Outing to Quebec

The Ski and Board Club at UMass takes a trip to Quebec City every fall! Check out their club and sign up for an awesome chance to hang in the lodge or on the slopes with a bunch of your friends. Not to mention, the legal drinking age is eighteen so you can expect to have a whole lot of fun. If you’re not feeling quite up for traveling to a different country, the SBC also offers plenty of day trips with everything included for just $50. The first meeting for the SBC is on September 17th in the Campus Center—check it out for more information about the Quebec trip and other great opportunities to hit the slopes!

10. Hike Sugarloaf Mountain

Sugarloaf Mountain is less than twenty minutes away from UMass! Hop in a car and head over to Sugarloaf for some gorgeous trails on a beautiful fall day before the snow starts to fall. Hiking is sure to help tone your legs and butt, so get out in the fresh air and enjoy some beautiful views!

Hopefully some of these great gym alternatives get your blood pumping in a much more riveting way than just hitting the Rec Center! Make the most of your fall semester… so what are you waiting for? Get moving!

Alexa Harrison

U Mass Amherst

Alexa Harrison is the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus UMass Amherst as well as a Management Intern at the Her Campus Media headquarters. She is a Senior English major and IT minor with a specialization in Nonfiction Writing. In her free time, Alexa enjoys going to museums; drinking iced green tea; and playing around with Adobe Creative Suite.