This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

With summer coming to an end and the school year in full swing, life can get pretty hectic.  Because your life went from endless sunshine to long days stuck in the library all day, you may be feeling a bit down.  You could find yourself beginning to oversleep, having food cravings, and/or having lower energy despite how much you sleep.  Believe it or not, you may not be the only person having this happen to them!  Seasonal affective disorder, aka SAD, is a type of depression related to the change of seasons.  Think you may be affected by seasonal affective disorder?  Keep on reading to find out more on the topic.

According to the Mayo Clinic, the specific causes of SAD are currently unknown, but there are some factors that could influence a person in developing SAD.  We all have a biological clock within our bodies and this biological clock is called our circadian rhythm which is our internal light cycle clock.  When it gets dark out, we find ourselves becoming more tired and when it is lighter outside, we find ourselves more awake.  During winter, even more so in Maine, our length of daylight is reduced, which has the potential of making us tired earlier on in the day.  This reduction of light can also create an imbalance of our serotonin and melatonin levels. 

Both serotonin and melatonin play important roles in our body’s sleeping cycle!  Not only does serotonin play a role in our sleep cycle, but is also known as one of our “happy” chemicals.  Low levels of serotonin can lead to depression, while lower levels of melatonin can lead to difficulty sleeping.  With the increase of night time and decrease of daylight, this can definitely throw off one’s serotonin and melatonin levels.  But fear not!  There are ways to help combat SAD and it’s symptoms.  Before seeking self-treatment for SAD, consult your doctor about concerns you may have about SAD.

There are a few activities and items that can help with seasonal affective disorder.  Exercising is an excellent way of boosting your mood and serotonin levels!  More serotonin means you can help regulate your body’s natural sleep cycle.  Also, light therapy is a great tool to utilize for the shift in day time.  Special lamps help mimic sunlight while you sit under or near them which can help get your biological clock back on track.  This is perfect for late night study sessions as well!  Some also find that yoga, guided meditation, and going outside to be incredibly helpful in self treating the effects of SAD.  Here are resources on campus as well that you can reach out to if you are in need of additional help.

In the Memorial Union, the Mind Spa is an excellent place to stop by to destress.  They are open Mondays-Fridays from 11am to 4:30pm.  The Mind Spa offers light therapy, creative activities, biofeedback, and meditation.  The Counseling Center at Cutler Health on campus is able to provide assistance to students.  You can find them at Cutler Health Center in room 125.  If you would like to call before going their phone number is (207) 581-1392.  Finally, the psychology department offers assistance at the Psychological Services Center at 330 Corbett Hall.  The clinic notes on its website that for the patient’s confidentiality, there is no email to contact them with.  Instead, the Psychological Services Center can be reached by phone at (207) 581-2034.

Once again if you feel that you could have seasonal affective disorder, please contact your doctor for further resources and education on the topic.  The purpose of this article was to provide a brief insight on a topic that affects a number of people each year. 

Asia Wohlfeil is a senior Psychology major at UMaine, an avid cat lover (proud mom of two cats: Beans and Deliah), and a fan of Japanese street fashion. During her free time, she can be found experimenting with makeup, studying mental health, or watching YouTube; sometimes all three at once! She aspires to open her own inpatient house for those with eating disorders to create a safe and healthy place for recovery.
Gabbi is a senior at the University of Maine studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in Psychology. She hopes to write and publish her own novel one day!