This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Maybe it’s just me, but this pandemic feels ongoing and sometimes I find myself anxious that it may never end. When I feel this way, I become very stressed out and overwhelmed. To deal with this, there are a number of things I try to do to help calm my pandemic anxiety. 

1. Read a book. Getting lost in a fictional love story can help you feel like you are escaping reality for a while. Find a cozy spot, grab your favorite book, and try to relax your mind. Soaking up a good story can help drown out all of your other anxiety-driven thoughts for a while, and hopefully relieve some stress too. 

Nappy

2. Pick up a new hobby. While the world is still not fully opened, this is the perfect time to try something new. Painting, knitting, yoga, cooking, and learning a musical instrument are all ideas of new hobbies you can try! 

3. Focus on school. Online classes are kicking my butt this semester. It’s easy to lose motivation to do schoolwork while a pandemic has been going on since March. I try to remind myself that while the pandemic is still happening, so is school, so I might as well try to make something good out of it by getting good grades! Spending an extra hour studying here and there will benefit your grades and distract your mind from pandemic anxiety. 

MacBook Air beside gold-colored study lamp and spiral books
    Arnel Hasanovic / Unsplash

4. Exercise. Working out is a great way to relieve any stress, but it can be especially helpful to relieve stress relating to the pandemic. Going for a walk or a run outside can help clear your mind and take in some fresh air. It is also a safe and healthy COVID-friendly activity!

5. Listen to music. A stress-relieving and fun activity you can do is make playlists. You can spend time making the perfect playlist of songs that match every mood. 

6. Take a deep breath. This last one is the most important. Take a deep breath and try to remember that although it may not feel like it, this pandemic is only temporary. Use this time to appreciate yourself and learn how to love your own company. Use this new way of life to grow as a person and appreciate the little things that are still possible. 

Rebecca is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying Journalism and Communication. She is also a sister of Alpha Epsilon Phi. She loves anything cheetah print, dancing it out with her friends, and will always be ready to argue that New Jersey is the best state.