This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With the looming risk of becoming infected and spreading the Covid-19 virus, staying home unless absolutely necessary is the responsible thing to do. However, nearly a full year of isolation is (understandably) enough to drive a person stir crazy. Instead of spending countless hours scrolling through Tik Tok and Instagram, make the most of quarantine by picking up a new hobby! Below are five ideas that will hopefully inspire you to explore your spark!

1. Pick up an instrument

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

For those with little to no musical experience, instruments such as the ukulele, harmonica, and piano are excellent starting points. If you are a visual learner, Youtube offers a plethora of learning methods for all skill levels. 

2. Try your hand at knitting 

Women Knitting
Photo by Rebecca Grant from Unsplash

It’s time to drop the notion that knitting is only for the elderly. Knitting is shown to improve dexterity, work as a meditative tool, benefit one’s self-esteem, and can even help you study, as it functions as a cognitive anchor. Plus, when you’re done you can give your one-of-a-kind creations to your loved ones. Who doesn’t love a homemade gift?

3. Get creative in the kitchen 

Don’t worry what Gordon Ramsay will think, food is universal! With apps such as Pinterest, you can access thousands of recipes at the touch of a button. Many recipes are self-explanatory and extremely easy to follow, even if you’re a beginner.

4. Write to a pen pal 

writing in journal on desk
Photo by NeONBRAND from Unsplash

While pen pals may seem old-fashioned in the age of social media, there are plenty of people in need of human interaction without internet access, such as elderly and incarcerated individuals. One simple search can connect you with pen pal services in your area or nationally. Deciding to send a letter could be the start of a beautiful friendship you never expected.

5. Get a small pet

blonde hamster
Photo by Ricky Kharawala on Unsplash

Before making any big decisions, ask yourself if you are prepared to care for a living creature. You will need an appropriate habitat and knowledge of the creature’s needs. You also need to consider the animal’s life expectancy and how that may affect your future plans. For example, a betta fish will live between 3-5 years while a bearded dragon can live upwards of 15 years. Having your own pet is a big responsibility, but the experience of properly caring for another creature is incredibly rewarding and could potentially benefit your mental health.

Bridget is a senior at the University of Connecticut, studying Journalism and English. In addition to HerCampus, Bridget is a member of Campus Trendsetters and College Fashionistas. In her free time she enjoys petting dogs, drinking excessive amounts of iced coffee, and song writing.