Wellness > Health

I Tried Taking 10 000 Steps For A Whole Week And This Is What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Alberta chapter.

We have all heard from a variety of different health articles or fitness accounts that we should be aiming to take 10 000 steps a day to help live a healthier lifestyle. However, to me that idea always seemed impossible as I found that I was spending the majority of my day sitting due to most of my day being spent in class or working on assignments/studying for tests. Naturally this year my sitting time has increased with everything being moved online. So, I decided that I would try and spend one whole week trying to reach that daily goal of 10 000 steps to see what kind of difference it would make in my life, if any and now I can confidently say that after a week of working towards my goal I have seen multiple positive changes in my life as a result. 

Increased Motivation 

While spending everyday trying to work towards my goal I found that I became more and more motivated towards actually reaching that number. I felt so much more willing to get up and move around as I had something tangible that I was working towards reaching and I found myself actively trying to find ways I could move around more rather than just sit on the couch with my phone. 

Feeling Accomplished 

I’m not going to lie, every time I saw myself hit 10 000 steps I got an incredible feeling of accomplishment. I felt stronger and more in tune with myself as I was spending time finding ways to actively take care of my body and invest in my own health through something as simple as taking more steps. 

Less Back Pain 

This change was a huge one for me as throughout this past year I have had increased back pain due to the amount of time I spend sitting down. I found that getting more movement into my life obviously reduced the amount of time I was spending sitting but also loosened up the muscles in my back and helped me work on having better posture. 

Rieley Tomkinson

U Alberta '22

Rieley is a third year Elementary Education student at the University of Alberta. When she's not busy studying you can find her binging a new Netflix show, singing along to musicals, playing with her dog or curled up with a new book.