This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Finally Foundation! We are so lucky at Tulane to have multiple running routes just steps off campus. From the classically beautiful Audubon Park, to the convenience of the streetcar line, and the more ambitious levy, there is always an option no matter what the weather throws at us. Even when it rains, there are places to run that don’t flood in typical New Orleans style. The paved path at Audubon usually remains above ground, except for a small stretch along Magazine Street. Even going further back to the levy on a rainy day, its pavement provides ample dry surface.

On dryer days, I love running the streetcar line because it’s so simple for tracking mileage. Just turn around at half the miles you planned and head back. Just be sure to respect the streetcars and keep your head up for other runners. It’s also pretty easy to make your own routes by running around Magazine Street or Freret. Coming from out of town, I especially like Magazine Street because of its unique opportunity to see more of the city without planning an entire day trip.

One of the best parts about all of these routes is that they come complete with a trail-running options. Trail-running is undoubtedly better for sustainable distance-running in that it has less impact on our joints and helps strengthen our feet and ankles through dodging protruding tree roots and stray rocks. For me, it also keeps me more engaged with the run instead of thinking about how far I have yet to go on already tired legs. On the outer edge of the Audubon loop, there’s a reliable trail with ample shade for those humid, early fall runs. It is pretty bumpy though, so be sure to watch out for those roots and rocks. The streetcar line is much smoother since it’s already perfectly carved and maintained for the actual streetcar.

With the fall weather and endless energy of New Orleans, I’m always excited for my daily run. Whether you prefer to run alone, with a podcast, a running buddy, or even the Tulane Running Club, there’s always something to look forward to when running at Tulane.

Hi! My name is Claire and I'm from Wauwatosa, Wi (Right outside Milwaukee). Usually I'll be writing about the things I love including food, fitness, and festivals! Contact me with any questions or ideas about my work and happy reading!