BTC WELLNESS?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BTC WELLNESS?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Especially during this pandemic, we must find the time to re-center our minds. Prioritizing mental health in this new normal is important, especially when we feel like some things are out of our control. Taking the time to refocus our thinking and mindsets will allow us to lead healthier lives. Here are five tips that help me cope with anxiety and stress!

Ground yourself

This technique is especially useful in getting your mind recentered. When your thoughts are starting to get out of control, slowly bring your awareness back to your breathing. I like to focus my attention on one object, or you can even name 5 things around you that are a certain color, shape, etc. Also, daily check-ins with yourself is super important. You can download an app like eMoods to help you reflect upon how you are feeling.

Practice journaling

Journaling can have a huge impact on the way you frame certain events. Cognitive distortions are negative thoughts that often put our minds in a state of panic. Ask yourself questions like “how likely is my worry going to become true” and “what is most likely to happen if my worry does come true.” This can often shift our perspective to the right frame of mind.

Get outside and exercise

Pushing our negative thoughts into physical action is a great method for relieving anxiety. Try going outside for a run or lifting weights to help boost energy levels and refocus your attention. Listening to a motivating and empowering playlist is also key!

Cook or bake something healthy  

I love cooking and baking because it shifts my attention onto something else. I’m not distracted by my phone, as I’m in the present moment. It is also great because you are rewarded with delicious food to share with family.

Try weighted blankets and lavender sprays

I finally hopped on the bandwagon for weighted blankets. I got mine from BedBath&Beyond! I love how the blanket makes me feel grounded, especially during nights when I feel anxious and stressed. Also, I love spritzing my lavender sleep spray above my bed. I use the nuvo wellness lavender and chamomile spray. The scent allows me to focus on my deep breathing techniques.

I hope some of these techniques can help you! Also, talking with a trained professional may be helpful in relieving some stress and anxiety. Take a deep breath and spend some time rewarding yourself­-you deserve it!

Emily Oh

Tulane '22

Hi, my name is Emily! I am a writer and VP of Marketing/PR for Her Campus Tulane. I love reading, baking vegan treats, and singing along to Taylor Swift.
Her Campus Tulane