It’s Not Too Late to Start Your New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Let’s consider January a trial month for 2016. After the clock struck twelve on December 31st nothing magical happened. So we can’t expect our “resolutions” to happen overnight either. We were still on winter break so when you are on a BREAK it’s only fitting to continue relaxing because you put a pause on your everyday routine. Enjoy your netflix binge! Enjoy your winter class! Enjoy your nights with friends! Enjoy your vacation! Enjoy your seasonal job! Enjoy your family time! I hope you enjoyed it plus the extra days off we got from the blizzard that covered Maryland right before classes started. Even after the first day of classes or “Fetty day”, the weekend still had people in vacation mode.  

Now that February is here. The New Year and all its resolutions can officially start! 

First order of business, stop calling it a RESOLUTION. Viewing a lifestyle change or “continuous improvement of self” only limits yourself and confines you to polar results without leaving room for the process of growth. Remember the mindset of DJ Khaled. “Don’t play yourself.” 

The best thing to do to assist yourself in a lifestyle change is to frame it under an umbrella. Know that you are working in different areas of your life to strive for the all-encompassing goal to build a better you.

1. Assess your current strengths and “needs improvement” areas of your life.

2. Realize that you need time to make these changes.

3. Understand the methods that fit best for you to achieve you goals.

4. Give yourself the tools to make it happen. 

5. Follow through!

Planning is a Major Key! These 3 methods of planning are the recipe for your future you. This may be a little foreshadowing, but I love acronyms so much that we are going to call this planning process “G.A.L.S.”

GOALS

Develop a mindset for what you intend to do. Don’t leap into something without thinking about an end result. The victory can be big or small; it only needs to satisfy you. 

ACRONYMS

Acronyms can really help you piece your life together with one word. It is an easy and simple reminder that you can hold yourself accountable to. You can pick any value that you want to use to focus your growth. A couple years ago, I chose FAITH as my word that would be the umbrella for my “needs improvement” areas of my life.  

I knew I needed to work on:

F-Friendships because I wanted to know that I was putting in the effort to keep-in-touch and maintain friendships with the different types of good people in my life.  

A-Academics because even when your grades are good, you still need to expand your knowledge and perfect your craft so you can be excellent. 

I-Income because I rather have my cup runneth over than my well runneth dry. 

T-Time because so you can accomplish a lot in 24 hours depending on what you do with your day. 

H-Health because emotional, physical and mental well-being is important to how you show up in your daily life. 

LISTS

Lists create physical proof your evolving mindset. Pen and paper are your friends. I have a list for schoolwork. I have a list for work-work. I have a list for self-work. You have to divide an conquer, especially when you have so many priorities that you have to prioritize your priorities. When you are a multi-faceted individual don’t confine your entire life to one list. Your life is not a $200 grocery receipt (that’s too much at one time). You might need separate transactions to use your coupon codes, rewards points and first-time user discounts in order to get YOUR DESIRED RESULTS. 

SCHEDULING

Google is the only conglomerate that deserves support. Google Calendar will get your whole life together with a binder clip, staple, paper clip and safety. It’s that real. It’s available on your desktop and with an app. You can notifications and it’s color-coded. Try it out! Agenda books and planners help the process as well. Youtuber, Smartista Beauty provides a lifestyle change guide with her videos of the Fearlessly Beautiful Movement Year Challenge

Use these tips and move forward on the pathway of more success. Remember your G.A.L.S! Make an acronym that is centered around your goals (Ex: Strength- Study, Teach, Relax, Exercise, Nourish, Give, Thank, Hardwork). Write short lists for different areas of your life. Use google calendar to schedule your life. It’s never too late to start a lifestyle change that will help you move towards a better you.  

My name is Josephine Hill I consider myself to be an artist in every facet of my existence! Makeup Artist (MUA) - Model - Painter - Writer - Fashionista I'm from the D (M) V I currently attend Towson University I am a Mass Communications Major Contact: jhill24@students.towson.edu Follow me on Twitter: @LadyJo_LovesU Be friends with me on Facebook: Josephine Hill
Her Campus

Towson '25