Style > Fashion

Ballin’ on a Budget: The Most Affordable Activewear Brands

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Whether or not you’re on “Gymtok” affordable activewear and luxury brand dupes continue to rise in popularity throughout the fitness community. An issue that has recently arisen regarding activewear is the high price tag. Products of many luxury brands, such as Lululemon and Alo Yoga, range from $80-150. For many, like myself, this is what we consider splurging or breaking the bank. Because of this, I have spent much of my time (and paycheck) on a mission to find the best activewear brands that will not put me in a financial crisis. 

Disclaimer- The longevity of activewear is highly dependent on how it is maintained. Directions detailing the proper care of your activewear should be followed closely to get the most out of your product. While some brands (such as Lululemon) offer returns if the product does not meet their quality standards, many other brands do not. To prevent problems such as pilling and shrinking, follow the guidelines provided by the brand of your choice. 

If you’re a Lululemon fanatic, but not a fan of the price tag: ColorfulKoala (Amazon – $) 

Arguably one of the closest dupes of Lululemon’s famous Align leggings, ColorfulKoala has a variety of high-quality products in a wide variety of colors and lengths. Although their material is not an exact replica of Lululemon’s Nulu Fabric, it is still “Buttery Soft,” as their Amazon storefront mentions. Additionally, they offer warmer options such as fleece-lined leggings, perfect for a base layer in the winter or a cozy lounge-wear option. Other clothing options from ColorfulKoala include active tops, joggers, and biker shorts. Reference their sizing chart before purchasing, as their products tend to run large. 

Amazon

If you want cute sets for less: CRZ Yoga (Amazon – $) 

After discovering the world of Amazon dupes, I quickly discovered that CRZ Yoga also sold leggings very similar to Lululemon’s Align collection. Their material is slightly different from the material of ColorfulKoala leggings, but their fit is relatively the same. The aspect of CRZ Yoga that stands out is the brands’ collection of tops. Whether you’re looking for a strappy racerback or an Align tank dupe, CRZ Yoga has a wide range of sports bras and longline bras available to purchase on their own or to match with a pair of leggings/biker shorts. Similar to ColorfulKoala, their sizing also runs large, therefore, referencing the sizing guidelines before purchasing is a must. 

Amazon

If you are looking for the *perfect* leg-day shorts: TomTiger (Amazon – $)  

While I am one to work out my legs over my upper body any day, it is not very often that I will venture to the gym in biker shorts. However, I have found that out of all biker shorts from the brands listed here, these are the most affordable for the quality they provide. They are high-waisted and very stretchy, making them easy to adjust to provide the most flattering fit. I find these to be a very similar alternative to AYBL’s Core Shorts and Gymshark’s Vital Seamless 2.0 Shorts. 

Amazon

If you want durable, squat-proof, flattering sets: AYBL – $$

Offering a wide range of minimalistic colors and designs, AYBL’s products are some of the most supportive and durable that I have yet to find. While all of the products on this list are squat-proof, AYBL products have a thicker material that many find more comfortable and flattering. Not only do they offer activewear, but they also have a wide selection of loungewear and outerwear for reasonable prices. Their Motion Seamless Leggings also offer flattering shape-enhancing markings that are all the craze. 

If you want variety and quality: Gymshark – $$

It was not until recently that I caved and bought my first set from Gymshark and I can confidently say that it will not be my last. Although their products are a bit pricier than other activewear brands, the numerous collections, patterns, and products that they offer make this brand a must-have if you are an avid gym-goer. A few of their most popular collections include Adapt, Vital, and Seamless. Additionally, they often collaborate with major fitness influencers (such as the queen herself, Whitney Simmons), creating unique and high-quality collections of leggings, bras, and various other clothing items. I have to say that out of this list, Gymshark may be the most expensive brand, however, I have never been disappointed with how flattering their products are and the quality that they possess. I highly recommend not only the sizing guide for Gymshark products but also the reviews, as some collections run smaller, while others are true to size. 

Casey is a third-year student at the University of Texas at Austin pursuing a journalism degree and a business Spanish certificate. She is currently a food editorial intern at Camille Styles and where she writes and publishes food and lifestyle pieces. In her free time, Casey enjoys cooking, traveling, and practicing yoga. IG: caseymckee_ Blog: KeenlyCasey.com Twitter: casey.mckee7