A Love Letter To UT’s Waller Creek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Your next hot girl walk destination is closer than you think.

Hidden on the eastern side of the University of Texas, between the looming Darrell K. Royal football stadium and the crowded yellow bricks of Speedway, is my favorite part of my college campus: Waller Creek. It’s a rather large part of the campus, running almost 2 miles, to call it a specific favorite spot of mine, but I’ve claimed it nonetheless. Waller Creek, in my opinion, is the best place to escape the busy and stressful atmosphere of college life and immerse yourself in nature, while still staying on campus.

With the weather getting warmer and the days getting brighter, I’ve been looking for new outside activities and outlets to enjoy my time in the sun, and always find myself returning to Waller Creek. The creek is flourishing with flora and fauna that I love immersing myself in. Whenever I’m taking a walk or reading a book along the creekside, I often see a raccoon, a heron, plenty of bluejays, and even an occasional opossum (but remember never to feed them). Some beautiful trees and plants surround the creek, including a small fruit tree grove that students can pick from when their fruit is ripe.

If you’re looking for a more developed part of Waller Creek to lounge around, I highly recommend Texas EXpresso. This quaint cafe is located in the Alumni Center, a building built into the creekside, and has inside seating and tons of outdoor lounging areas that overlook Waller Creek. I often stop by between classes to get coffee or lunch and enjoy it at an outside table and study. Personally, I’ve found that studying and completing assignments are much easier to get through when I’m in natural green spaces, and the “just because” treat or coffee is a much-needed bonus.

If you’re interested in learning more about UT’s greenspaces like Waller Creek I highly recommend listening to “the self-guided walking tour” that the University of Texas Sustainability webpage offers. It acts as a great in-depth look at the creek’s history and sustainability efforts the university has engaged in to keep the creek clean and healthy. 

Ella Wick

Texas '26

Hi, my name is Ella Wick and I'm a Sophomore English major at The University of Texas! My hobbies include reading, watching movies, listening to music, cooking, and missing my cats while on campus! I'm really passionate about writing and hope to pursue a career in writing/publishing. I love writing about all sorts of topics but especially love pop culture, beauty, style, film, music and wellness.