Coolest Summer Runs Coming to Philadelphia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Running doesn’t always have to be on the indoor track at the IBC gym. This summer, accomplish something great by signing up for a 5 or 10K novelty run. Not only will you test your overall fitness, but you will also have fun at the same time. Consider these seven cool summer runs, conveniently located in and around Philadelphia!   

1. Bubble Palooza

When: 10 a.m., June 10

Where: Salem County Fairgrounds, 735 Harding Hwy., Woodstown, Nj. 08098 (Just outside of Philadelphia)

Everyone wishes that they were at the beach during summer time. No worries! Bubble Palooza is coming to Philadelphia. This run combines exercise, foam and a good cause to create a load of summer fun. If you attend, make sure that you wear a white t-shirt! At the end of this three-mile run, expect to look like a rainbow-colored marshmallow in a Lucky Charms box. Proceeds from this run go to the American Diabetes Association.

2. The Electric Run

When: TBA July 2014

Where: Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, Pa.

Get ready to illuminate yourselves! Participants of the Electric Run will receive event shirts, LED bracelets, and glow sunglasses. However, looking like a star while you run isn’t the only fun part. Neon trees, glowing arches, lasers, glowing beach balls and a DJ concert are all inclusive too. An official charity will be selected shortly.

3. The Zombie Run 

When: 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. for “Extreme;” 8 p.m. for “Black-Ops,” August 30, 2014

Where: Skirmish USA, 1519 State Rte. 903, Jim Thorpe, Pa. 18229

One of the more interesting runs, this 5K takes place on a fictitious “zombie” movie set. After the first kilometer, you’ll enter into a military-controlled apocalypse zone where your dash from zombies will begin. During the last two kilometers, expect a free-for-all as you charge through chemical spill zones and car crashes, attempting to evade all the bloodthirsty zombies. But don’t worry – these aren’t real zombies. If you don’t want to register as an actual runner, you can always register as a zombie and enjoy discounted rates. Who doesn’t want to dress up as the undead? Proceeds go to the Kennedy Krieger Institute to raise funds for brain injuries and disorders.

4. Muck Fest MS

When: June 1 (time TBD)

Where: Ellis Preserve, 3805 West Chester Pk., Newtown Square, Pa. 19073

Don’t be afraid to get down and dirty. Muck Fest MS is not only a 5K run, but you will also swing, slosh and climb through a course of exciting obstacles, muddy pits, trenches and craters. If you’re looking for a run to really put your athletic skills to the test, this is definitely the one for you. All of the proceeds will go to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

5. Midnight Madness

When: 12 a.m., July 20, 2014

If you’re looking for a calmer atmosphere than the Electric Run, Midnight Madness is a ton of fun without all of the “rave” noise. This 8.4-mile run (a 10K), will stretch around the length of the Schuylkill River and light up a beautiful sight in city. A non-cash prize will be awarded for the most illuminated runner, so be creative! Proceeds go to the Back on My Feet organization.       

6. Philadelphia Christmas is July

When: 7 p.m. July 16, 2014

Where: Citizens Bank Park, Philadelphia, Pa.

Holiday cheer doesn’t have to stop after December – Christmas in July is coming your way! This 5K run sponsored, by the Bucks County Marathon Series, takes place at Citizen’s Bank Park. The best part is that everyone will be dressed in holiday gear in the hot summer weather, so the cold won’t stop you from exercising this time. Please also consider bringing a new unwrapped toy to donate to Toy for Tots.

7. The Color Run

When: TBA July 2014

The “happiest 5k on the planet” is coming to Philadelphia this summer. The Color Run is a five-kilometer, untimed race in which thousands of participants, or “Color Runners”, are sprayed in various colors from head to toe at each kilometer. This fun-filled event will have you looking like an art masterpiece at the finish line, just make sure you wear a white t-shirt. A charity will be nominated for the event.

Sienna Vance is a Journalism major at Temple University. She has written for the Temple Annual Yearbook, The Temple News, and the Creative Spotlights Website. In her spare time she enjoys going out with friends, getting to the gym when she can, Grey's Anatomy and random dancing. She runs an entertainment blog called L.O.V.E on wordpress.com. http://lovephila.wordpress.com
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.