This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

On Sunday, February 25th, I ran the Cowtown Half Marathon. It was brutally fun, painfully exhilarating, and undeniably one of the hardest yet most rewarding experiences of my life.

I woke up at 4:30 in the morning, started running at 7:30, and didn’t stop until I crossed the finish line a little over two hours later. My friend and I had only trained up to 10 miles about two weeks before the race, and we never completed a run longer than 5 miles without a short walking break thrown in. But something about race day, the energy and support of the crowds, pushed us to run the entire 13.1 miles. Talk about adrenaline.

After about four months of training, it felt so strange to finally be putting one foot in front of the other for the half marathon. It seemed like such a pipe dream. It couldn’t be real, that moment, because if it was real I was willingly running a race that past me would have labeled as torture. And the worst part? I was having fun.

My family and friends were incredibly supportive. I received so many kind texts and encouraging messages in the days leading up to the race that I’m inexplicably thankful for. (Consider this my mass thank you note as I’m sure my mom will lovingly forward this article to you all because she can’t help it. Love you, Mom.)

I was terrified but oddly confident. I had no goals other than to finish (and not to puke, honestly), so in reality the bar was low. But I was still overcome with emotions when my friend and I crossed that finish line, feet aching and bodies sweating from the surprising amount of February sunshine. We were so beyond proud of ourselves. That moment will be unforgettable, and as my sore muscles slowly recover and time goes by, I can foresee that feeling becoming addictive once the prom goggles set in. Your body has to trick you into thinking birth wasn’t painful, remember? Not that the type of pain is equivalent, but the principle is the same. I have no desire to run a full marathon, but winning a medal for the half did scratch a competitive itch I’ve been missing for awhile. A clear, tangible reward for my work.

Anyway, it all goes to show anyone can run. Even if you hate it. Even if you have asthma. Even if you never in your life ran more than a few miles. Even if you don’t stick to a crazy training plan. Mindset is everything, and pushing yourself alongside someone is the best way to build that mindset.

All that said, here’s what I learned from gear to training to handling the physical and mental challenge that is running a half marathon.

Training PLan

We started low-key training for our race near the end of October. Essentially, we stretched a 15-week training protocol to last us about 18 weeks, structuring some flexibility for vacations we had in that time frame. We committed to running 3-4 times a week, leaving shorter and mid-length runs for the weekdays and our long runs for Sunday. Our training plan included incentives to cross train which we completely ignored in reality (and it worked out fine, but when we attempt this again, some level of strength training will be implemented for injury prevention if nothing else).

I’ll link the training plan that inspired ours here. We transformed it into a pretty Canva calendar and modified it as needed when we were busy, sick, or traveling. Balance and achievability were big for us, and in prioritizing having fun, we slowly hit our milestones without even realizing it.

Choose a plan that best fits your life and your goals, but shoot to train up to 10 miles before race day for endurance and confidence. Both are equally important.

Gear

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a thousand times; you do NOT need fancy gear to be a runner. We ran in our normal workout clothes and indulged in little gear rewards as we completed more training. After the first month, I got a cheap running belt off of Amazon. Once we submitted our race deposit I purchased some fun running sunglasses. We both replaced our shoes shortly after our 8-mile long run (a month out from the half marathon) because they needed replacing regardless. When we started hitting longer distances, I ran with an old CamelBak to carry water and snacks to avoid investing in an expensive running vest.

The point is, we made what we had work, and everything extra we purchased was purely for the fun of it (minus the shoes, which were objectively a necessity for the sake of our toes). Running does not have to be an expensive hobby if you’re willing to use your existing gear.

Fuel

You need to eat. No way around it. I’m not a nutritionist so I won’t dish out specifics here, but running requires more fuel than you’d initially believe. You’re going to feel hungry and you need to listen to your body. Load up on carbs the night before your long runs and your race, and otherwise stay consistent with what you’re eating. Try not to switch up your snack patterns to avoid stomach issues while running. Carry goodies on runs like Honey Stingers and Sour Patch Kids to boost your energy mid-run. Train with your fuel so that come race day, your body knows what to expect.

Mental and Physical Health

Running is a lot on your body and your mind. It’s consistent. It’s hard. It takes time, diligence, and a positive attitude. You’ll get better over time, stronger, and more durable, but running never stops being a challenge. It’s hard to hold yourself accountable. Prioritizing runs when you have homework, you’re exhausted, your legs hurt is the most important part of training. Again, this is where the running buddy is integral. I never would have accomplished this without my friend and coworker texting me every day about our runs. She pushed me across that finish line in the end, and I’m beyond grateful for her love and willingness to try something crazy with me.

Running will force you to work past your limits. It should. It makes you better. Don’t shy away when it gets tough. Lean in, run hard. Remember, any run is better than no run, and recovery is equally as important as the workouts themselves. Be aware of your body (don’t mistake an ache for a pain), but be bold enough to test your boundaries, and running with reward you with every step.

Overall

In the end, my running journey this past year has been amazing. I’m so proud of all I accomplished, and I hope my experience can help you realize that your abilities and attitude can change with practice. I think think running is difficult, but I also know that it can be the source of a fun, supportive community.

I will tentatively say I’m excited to run the Cowtown Half Marathon again next year. No promises, but I hope to see y’all there.

Colleen Wyrick is President of the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She enjoys writing about current pop culture events, female empowerment, and her latest book/TV interest. She loves her role and connecting with new members! Colleen is an aspiring writer/editor/publisher/professor and is a junior (*sigh*) at Texas Christian University studying English and Communication. In addition to Her Campus, she contributes to academic publications for the English Department and works for TCU’s social media team. She is very passionate about books, Marvel, chocolate, soccer, and all things comfortable. You can find her doing anything and everything because she loves new adventures!