Wellness > Mental Health

I Am Not Okay, and That is Okay: Three Ways to Better Yourself in Stressful Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I am not okay. If you know me, you know talking about this is not easy. This past year has been a challenge, and I feel that nothing has gone my way. Every time something positive is happening in my life, I get thrown a curveball, and I do not know how to get back up. The effects of the pandemic have been constant stress and worry for me. Prior to this experience, I was the uber-organized planner type, but COVID-19 hasn’t exactly made that easy.  Lately, all these changes and curveballs have become seemingly insurmountable, and I have retreated into myself. During this era of transformation, I have learned that it is okay to not be at your best all the time through three important concepts. 

I have learned to remain positive even if situations seem too difficult to bear. I get that this is easier said than done. One way to remain positive is to say to yourself that you are strong and can overcome anything. Things may seem hard now, but they will soon get better. 

Another idea that has helped me realize it’s okay to not be at your best is to be honest. Tell your friends when you are at your lows because they will always be there for you. Be honest when canceling plans because you need time to yourself. Be honest with your feelings because it will allow you to connect with other people who may be in the same place as you. 

Finally, the most important thing is to take care of yourself. You should always be bettering yourself. Whether that is working out or journaling to get your thoughts on paper. It is crucial to put yourself first to better your mind, body, and soul. Listening to music or watching a movie helps rid my mind of a particularly overwhelming moment. 

Although I follow these three mantras, my journey is still a work in progress. I am working every day to stay positive, be honest, and take care of myself.  

If you are struggling with mental health, please reach out to the TCU Counseling and Mental Health Center at 817-257-7863, at the 24/7 phone counseling helpline at 817-257-SAFE (7233), or online.

Jadyn is a Junior at Texas Christian University, studying Strategic Communications. She is from Dana Point, CA. In her free time, she can be found doing orange theory, hanging with friends, and watching the latest Netflix documentary.