This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Being a college student can be extremely stressful. There are so many things you worry about, such as passing a class, achieving a certain GPA, getting involved on campus, interning, and the biggest stress of them all — life after graduation. Throughout my three years at TCNJ, I came to learn that the intensity of my classes was getting harder and so was the stress. And stress was becoming my best friend.

So, over the summer I decided to try meditating to eliminate the amount of stress that was consuming me.

Meditation is beneficial because it improves our health mentally, physically, and emotionally. Other benefits include longer attention span, control over anxiety, and a happy stress-free life. Who wouldn’t want that? As I was researching meditation and its effects, I learned that it puts you in a positive and calm mood while also increasing your self-awareness and awareness of your surroundings.

I know I’m not the only one who lives in their own thoughts. I always tend to space out and have several different ideas in my head, as if I have a million and one thoughts circling in my mind. Once I became aware of this, I decided to start my journey of meditation.

I’ve been meditating for almost two months now and I can really see a difference. I no longer have so many thoughts consuming me at once and I’m more positive. I normally meditate in the morning and before I go to bed, just to start and end the day on a good note. In the beginning I did have my doubts and never really believed meditation would work for me and honestly it was rough, but I decided to stick it out and boy did I make the right decision. Meditating makes me feel like I have more control than I thought I did.

There’s a meditation app for beginners called Headspace that really helps you along your journey. They guide you through your meditation practices and teach you the importance of meditation and its effects. Through this, I’ve learned to just let my thoughts come and go while observing them. Meditation has helped me focus on the present and to enjoy the moment.

There are many forms of meditation that help in different ways. I wanted to focus more on mindfulness because I lacked the ability to control my stress and ease my thoughts. While everyone’s experience is different, and it may take longer for some people to master it, the end result is always worth it.

Ashley Franklin graduated The College of New Jersey with a BS in Marketing and minor in Communications. During her time at TCNJ, she actively contributed to their Her Campus chapters' online magazine, taking on many roles from Marketing/Publicity Coordinator to Social Media Specialist. She's a lover of all things fashion, beauty and food--and enjoys binge-watching the latest Netflix series (Gossip Girl being one of her faves).
Kyra Mackesy graduated The College of New Jersey with a BA in Journalism and Professional Writing and a minor in Criminology in 2019. While at TCNJ, she was an active member of their Her Campus chapter, holding a wide array of positions: President and Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, Marketing and Publicity Director, and Social Media Manager. She loved seeing her chapter grow throughout her four years in college, and will remain an active Her Campus Alumni.