Meet Yoga Instructor, Beth Brombosz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

A little late in the game, but it’s 2017! It’s only February, so I’m sure those New Year resolutions are still rolling around in your minds. The semester has only just begun and you’re probably already stressed, I’m sure. Academic, fitness, health, social, sleeping goals—whatever your case may be, yoga can be a great help for reaching your fullest potential.

About a year ago, I began dealing with headaches that might have been stress-related, in my opinion, or so WebMD claims. Traditional medicine is usually the quickest method for my headaches, however, I am not a fan of relying solely on taking loads of advil to find relief. This, among other factors that relate to my emotions (anxiety, for the most part) led me to find some alternatives.

That’s when I discovered the magic of Youtube, or rather the magic of Dr. Beth Brombosz’s videos. The Oklahoma-based blogger, author, runner and yoga instructor featured a beginners video playlist for starting your own yoga practice. It jump started a whole new perspective of fitness that didn’t mean running on a treadmill for hours on end. Not that this is a bad thing, it’s just not for me.

I turned to Dr. Brombosz to find out more about her personal journey through starting up and maintaining her yoga practice. 

Her Campus Texas A&M: What inspired your interest in yoga?

Dr. Beth Brombosz: I actually started yoga as a way to cross-train while running half-marathons and marathons. But I quickly fell in love with both the physical and mental aspect of yoga, and how it helped me with the stress of finishing up my PhD.

HC TAMU: What made you want to develop your practice even further?

Brombosz: I found a studio that I really loved. I started out by taking classes at the campus gym, and those classes were good, but they catered to a beginner-level yogi. Over winter break, I went home and found a studio with some amazing teachers who really spoke [about] using yoga to let go of stress and anxiety. I know this sounds cheesy, but taking classes with them really did change my life.

HC TAMU: Would you mind explaining some of the benefits of yoga? How might it benefit college students in particular?

Brombosz: One of the biggest benefits of yoga is stress reduction. If you’re like me when I was in college, you’re totally stressed out about exams, papers, and grades. Yoga teaches you to focus on the present moment so you can let go of all of the worry. Plus, the meditating you do in a yoga class, even when you’re moving, can help you sleep better and can even improve your focus.

HC TAMU: I have heard of EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption); Is it possible that there is a similar after effect from doing yoga?

Brombosz: If you do a really vigorous style of yoga like power yoga, definitely! Most EPOC happens after you work out hard, like doing a HIIT workout or running sprint intervals. There are some yoga classes that give you a really great workout and get your heart rate going, and you could totally experience EPOC after those!

HC TAMU: Do you believe in practicing yoga for merely physical appearance reasons, such as to simply tone the body?

Brombosz: I believe in whatever you need to get on your mat! I’ve had many students who started with yoga because they wanted to get toned, and then they started to see the mental benefits. We all have our own motivations, and if looking good is going to get you to practice yoga consistently, that’s great!

HC TAMU: What type of yoga do you prefer?

Brombosz: It really depends on my mood. Usually I’ll go for Power Yoga because it works really well for me when I need to release stress. But, sometimes my body is tired and sore, and then I’ll opt for a restorative yoga class where I can chill out a bit more. It’s good to have variety!

HC TAMU: Is there a limit to how much yoga a person should do?

Brombosz: It all comes down to listening to your body. If you’re feeling tired, take it slowly or take a day off. When you’re physically tired, you’re at a higher risk of hurting yourself because your alignment and posture won’t be as good. I always say that if a pose doesn’t feel right, modify it or just skip it. If it hurts, definitely don’t do it.

HC TAMU: How soon can someone begin or continue their yoga practice after having childbirth?

Brombosz: As soon as their doctor clears them to get back to it! They could start with some of the mental and breathing aspects right away (which can actually be great for getting through labor). But, for the physical poses (asanas), they should definitely get the OK from their OB-GYN or midwife. Even then, they should be very careful, since their core will be very weak, and they probably will have lost some strength in the rest of their body, too.

HC TAMU: How do you incorporate fitness (running) and yoga into your routine as a busy mom?

Brombosz: I fit things in when I can! I don’t worry about how long I work out right now. If I can get moving, even if it’s for five or 10 minutes, I consider that a win. Some days I can get in a few short sessions; some days I can fit in a 30 minute workout. It’s all about fitting in whatever you can and not stressing about what you can’t.

HC TAMU: If a student is pressed for time, what is a quick beginner-friendly flow they can do to de-stress for even the slightest amount of time?

Brombosz: Start with Sun Salutations! You’ll see them done in most yoga classes, and they’re a great way to link movement with breath, which is great for stress reduction.

If you are interested in starting up, or furthering into your own yoga practice, I encourage you to visit Dr. Beth Brombosz’s blog, or check out her Youtube channel provided in the links below.

Her website also provides numerous helpful articles about running as well as her experience transitioning  from “blogger to author” among other interesting topics.

http://www.sublimelyfit.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-D8fcG4PvnXR9h37v7iynw

For more information about her writing experience, she stars in another Youtube channel in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6t1H_VKQjKGTj8KANWRPmQ