Wellness > Health

I tried working out for 5 days with a sports bra as a top

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

I’ve always led an active lifestyle, whether through dancing, volleyball, or chasing around my goofy dog. However, it wasn’t until my first year in college that I truly fell in love with going to the gym. I crave the sense of self-care I get from taking time out of my day to train and improve my body. The once elusive free weights and squat racks became familiar friends to me, and I now have no fear in stepping up to the bar and sliding on weighted plates. Something that I was and still am afraid of was how I looked in the gym. I am a super self-conscious person. After all, my insecurities are what first led me to become a gym rat. But as time went on, I noticed other female gym-goers, their adorable workout sets, and hairstyles. Something that really caught my attention was the ones that would work out in sports bras… without a top. No matter the size of chest, midriff, arms, back, ladies of all sizes chose to workout without a shirt and look fabulous. After weeks of wishing that I could possess that level of confidence or be unconcerned with how others see me at the gym, I, while pedaling a bike, decided it was time to leave my comfort zone. With my worn-out cotton shirt sticking to my drenched back, I headed home determined to research how I too could be comfortable working out in just a sports bra -both in mind and body.

Day 1: Wednesday Feburary 10th

I was determined to start out on the right foot and complete my experiment. I went with a more modest sports bra. One of my favorites, a cropped tank/sports bra hybrid. It has a snatching effect on the waist, yet I’ve never dared to reveal this effect without a tank. (Get it here, on sale!)

The night before, I was talking to a friend about embarrassing mess-ups at the gym. He told me how, recently at the gym, he saw an unfortunate wardrobe malfunction with a girl’s over-the-shoulder boulder-holder. I wasn’t afraid of having wardrobe malfunctions with my experiment until I heard his story.

From the moment I walked out of the locker room to once I was done with my workout and back into the locker room to change, not once my mind forgot my new mission. For the whole duration of my routine, I had been incredibly self-aware of how sucked in my core was, how my arms may appear, and my posture. I highly doubt that this was a worthwhile workout session, for how could I get my sweat on if I was more worried about my pansa? This was not the strongest start to a new experience.

Day 2: Thursday Feburary 11th

I usually bounce easily out of my bed in the morning, but today was different. I sat in my covers for a good thirty minutes, dreading what I would be wearing. I had set my alarm earlier than usual the night before so that I could be at the Rec as soon as it opened. I figured that the crowd of people that go at such an ungodly hour in the morning to workout would not pay me and my sports bra any attention.

I was right. Those at the gym at 6 am rather go in and out than stare at what everyone else is doing and wearing. I could not help but hear in my mind my mom saying, “Sarah, it’s not a fashion show,” like she would remind me all throughout middle school. Towards the latter half of my workout, I managed to pluck up the courage to use a machine I was unfamiliar with. And when I left, I felt a new sense of hope inside me that maybe I could pull this off.

Day 3: Friday Feburary 12th

Continuing my early morning arrival at the Rec, this time, I decided to wear a more trendy, white Nike sports bra

I know it sounds ridiculous. But whenever I buy new athletic clothes, I get a magnified sense of ability. It feels as though a new pair of shoes makes me fast AF, and a new sports bra transforms me into the incredible hulk. After doing cardio warmup fast as lightning, (slow AF), I decided to do an upper-body workout.

The free weights at the Rec are stored in an area I have seen many avoid. For many, this place is a nightmare. This is due to the floor-to-ceiling mirrors that run along the entire wall and onto the neighboring sides. The feeling one gets here can be compared to being a performer on stage, and it is enough to give someone stage fright! Midway through my arm circuit, I realized that I was totally nipping. I felt my cheeks growing super hot, and a million thoughts ran through my head, questions like “What should I do?” “Can I cover this up?” “Where is the nearest exit?” I felt incredibly mortified and glanced around, trying to assess the damage, trying to gauge how many people could see what I was seeing. It appeared that no one had noticed, but to me, that did not mean no one did. Therefore, I hurried to rerack my weights and ducked out of them asap.

Day 4: Monday Feburary 22nd

After last Friday’s workout, I was not exactly happily jumping at the thought of returning to the Rec. Luckily for me, I was unable to use the Rec because of our recent freak weather. Starting on Valentine’s day, College Station was immobilized by snow and horrendous winds that took out a vast majority of Aggieland’s power. I was granted a week off from the gym. I spent it huddled in bed, freezing and stuck at home. By the next Monday, the 22nd, I was itching to get out and workout, even if it meant baring my midriff.

I felt a tad bit insane for taking off my shirt when outside the weather was still in the 60s, yet I was at the point of no return with craving a workout. I had also spent the previous week eating all the junk food in my cupboard as if I was prepping for hibernation. I can honestly say that I killed my workout this day. I poured sweat. I was sweat. For the first time, I was really liking my workout outfit, for it did not restrict me or stick to the droplets of sweat on my back and arms. I even managed to forget what I was wearing at long intervals during my workout. And reflecting on the session in the locker room, I felt a turning point in my feelings for using a sports bra as a workout top.

Day 5: Tuesday Feburary 23rd

Today was the last “mandatory” day of my journey, and for the grande finale, I tried running a mile outside in just a sports bra. Now, if you’re a little more blessed in the chest like me, dear friend, this idea may have made you cringe. Do not worry. I was not going to be caught unprepared for this challenge. I donned my most supportive, high-impact sports bra and daringly ran at a public park with relatively high foot traffic. If today was going to be my last day, I would make sure to go out with a bang.

Like the day before, I was pouring sweat by the end of my mile. I had cut down my time by about ten seconds, too. Do I think the sports bra made me faster? Scientifically no, but mentally it had an effect.

At the beginning of my journey, I was terrified of walking into a gym with my stomach showing. And I used to think I would never gain a sense of confidence to go on with my workouts dressed how I was. I didn’t get the purpose of wearing a sports bra as a top. Looking back now, it is all about comfort. It is ironic to say this, for being exposed in this way can make many women feel uncomfortable, yet being free of a sweaty tee is an awesome feeling. Not to say that I will be tossing out my tees, but now I will be using them more so as a cover-up for coming to and fro the Rec. Free the midriff!

Sarah is a Nutrition major at Texas A&M University from San Antonio, Texas. She is passionate about raising awareness of sexual assault in hopes of a future where everyone's bodies remain their own. In her free time she enjoys vintage fashion, reading, good food, and daydreaming in local cafes.