bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

3, 12, 30: The Numbers to Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TAMU chapter.

The gym. A place that can be intimidating, unknown, and all-around scary if you do not know what you are doing. I have been going to the gym frequently for the past year and a half, and I had not found a workout that I adore, not until recently. If you are a beginner like me, you may not even know where to start. You have cardio machines, weights, leg machines, and so much more. That can be super intimidating for someone who is just getting started. Plus, don’t even get me started on the people at the gym, you know the big guys who live twice your weight. For the year I have been going, I never pushed myself to my full potential until I found this specific workout. It is simple—3, 12, 30.

Now you are probably thinking, what is this girl talking about. Don’t worry, I am here to tell you everything you need to know. The bright side? You don’t even need a gym membership! All you need for this is a treadmill and maybe a good playlist, a friend, or a Netflix show to keep you entertained for the 30 minutes this workout takes. What you are going to do is put the treadmill on an incline of 12, a speed of 3, and workout for 30 minutes straight. Now, I will not lie to you. This is not as easy as it sounds; however, I am a terrible runner, and this workout gets the job done. Lauren Giraldo introduced this workout to the world, claiming this is all she did five days a week, and in the long run, lost thirty pounds. When I first saw it, I was skeptical, but after my first day completing the workout, I had burnt 300 calories in just 30 minutes! Before this workout, I would do 30 minutes on the elliptical or try to run/walk for that time on the treadmill. However, the 3-12-30 method surpassed all of those in the most effective way -at least for me; remember that everybody is different.

I will be real with y’all; I have only been doing this workout for a week now. That being said, in that week, I feel better and can see a difference in my body. After I complete this workout, I usually go and lift weights, but if all you want to do is those 30 minutes, go for it! Everybody has to start somewhere, and Lauren said that all she did was this workout to see results. In my opinion, making sure you are eating a healthy diet and watching your calories is also crucial if you are trying to lose weight. Even cutting back on your soda intake and using portion control can help you.

This workout has helped me tremendously in the gym, and I hope it can do the same for you. Burning 300 calories is an incredible start, and even if this is all you do for yourself, it is a great way for you to get started in the gym. This is a routine anyone can do regardless of their athletic ability, and it can help give you results you will be happy to see. The 30 minutes this workout takes is a time for you, and remember, self-care is important! It is never too early to work on that summer body, and who doesn’t want to look good for themselves?

Houston, Texas music enthusiast