Wellness

Here’s what Happened when I Listened to Affirmations as I Slept

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

From healthy diets to morning routines, I love myself anything that promotes a healthier, more efficient lifestyle. And so when a close friend put me on to this fad, that was guaranteed to improve my state of mind, I was intrigued. 

The trick was to play a video of someone as they recite affirmations to you as you sleep. This is supposed to affect your subconscious and change the way you think. Ultimately changing your attitude and point of view. 

What it is, is a Youtube video (or audio recording) of someone saying “I am _______” affirmations. 

Here’s the Google definition, it’s a mix of both with an emphasis on the second part. 

On the first night…

I aim at getting 4 hours and 40 minutes each night because I feel like I’m most productive when I sleep that long. Anything less and I’m snoozing and exhausted throughout the day. Too much (usually 8 hrs+) and I’m a SLOB. 

I went on to Youtube. Quickly I found a 5-hour-long video called “I AM Affirmations while you SLEEP for Confidence, Success, Wealth, Health & Spiritual Alignment“. 

First off I locked my phone screen, lol.

First day:

• I kept waking up through the night because I wasn’t used to the voice (so maybe try it lower)
  • If I turn down the volume then I won’t hear the affirmations
  • Each time I woke up I wasn’t tired. I was ready to get up
  • I missed my morning workout however I made sure to go later throughout the day and I got a really good workout
  • I made sure to push myself within the small frame of time at the gym
  • I ran past my goal… 1 mile. Usually, I feel myself drag my body to it but today I sprinted past it. I also did it at a speed I don’t usually run at (a whole 1mph faster) it was consistent
  • I mentally told myself you can do this. You got this.
  • I stepped out to class earlier. Didn’t wait till last minute
  • Got shit DONE and didn’t push it. Just started attacking.

Second Day

• I slept in once again, I felt over it, but I reassured myself (YOU. GOT. THIS). 
  • I attended an internship fair where I put myself in front of people and networked. 
  • I called home (finally)
  • I called my best friend, but he didn’t pick up (didn’t think too deep into it, but usually I’d get upset). 
  • I was more assertive and gave responsibility to others rather take up on everything on my own. 
  • Got a head start on my homework to get that feeling of fulfillment.
  • Workout felt fun

Third Day (Day off)

I decided to take one night off and see if maybe this was just some sort of placebo effect. On my day without the affirmations I woke up and got up on time, this must be because I had a quiet sleep throughout the whole night. As I said I got up once the alarm went off, however, I spent a lot more time easily distracted by social media (my screen time went up by 2+ hours). 

I also noticed I couldn’t focus while studying. I couldn’t get myself to care at all. 

Fourth Day

I must note that to see fair results, you must treat this as a life-changing opportunity and… … in order to see good results.

I’ve gone back to this night time routine (on day 8 now) and I can say that this has already impacted my attitude in a great way. I know my confidence has improved by how willing I am to push myself. The improvement in my attitude has helped my level of productivity… everything I want to be done will get done

I recommend everyone try this out for a week, even for as little as ONE night. If you do (or if you have already tried this), leave your thoughts in the comments, or reach out to me on IG: @Aemiliatertia. :) 

Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely