This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

If you’re anything like me, chances are you might currently be feeling burnt out or stressed from life in general. Whether it involves school, work, everyday chores, etc., there’s always something more to do, something that needs to be checked off that to-do list. While it’s great to be productive and get things done, the question then arises, “At what cost?” At what cost are we willing to sacrifice our own mental health and well-being in order to accomplish tasks and get work done? I, for one, am done abandoning my well-being, and you should be too.

While my schedule has admittedly been messed up since quarantine started, it has just gotten worse since the spring semester began. There are many nights where I stay up very late and then consequently feel fatigued and lethargic once my classes start each day at 8 a.m. While I do admit I need to better my time management skills, I feel like there’s a never-ending cycle of assignments to do: readings, quizzes/exams, club meetings to attend, on top of everyday life things. Along with many other college students, I have a terrible sleep schedule that affects how I feel.

Another problem current college students face involves a highly increased use of technology. Due to remote learning and hybrid-classes, students are on their computers now more than ever before. And when we aren’t in class on a program like Zoom, we’re still on the computer completing homework or studying for upcoming tests. This fact contributes to my next point of people having an overall lack of Vitamin D and exercise that is depleting their health. With both the quarantine and busy, stressful lives, many people are not going outside to get that much-needed sunlight and essential exercise. Even I am guilty of this and know how bad I feel when I don’t go outside and move around.

Having discussed some of the reasons as to why burnout may happen, it’s crucial to emphasize the importance of de-stressing and relaxing. While it may feel like you’re accomplishing things at the moment, a constant focus on school or work is both unhealthy and unbeneficial. Burnout and stress not only hurt the immune system but affect mental health and how we feel.

I truly didn’t notice how much time I spent focusing on college work until my mom noticed and told me I needed a break and to concentrate on other things. I am thankful she did as it allowed me to examine just how unhealthy my lifestyle was becoming. Now, I try to spend at least one day a week not thinking about school-related things at all, not even checking emails. It’s vital for all of us to take a break to feel rejuvenated and refreshed again. I also really applaud my college, Susquehanna University, for giving students and staff a mental health day off each month. To clarify, there is one designated day each month this semester where the University calls off all classes, club meetings, etc., in order for everyone to take a break and have a self-care day. I think it’s a brilliant idea that should be implemented at all schools and workplaces worldwide. We aren’t meant to constantly work all the time, and I think having mental health days are a significant step in the right direction. There needs to be a balance and consideration for prioritizing our health.

Great ways to de-stress include watching new movies/TV shows, reading new books, creating a playlist of songs you love, gardening, baking, and other activities. The perfect way to wind down is by doing what you love and what makes you feel alive and happy. The important part is that we force ourselves to take a break from that repetitive, everyday routine we’re so used to and choose to let go of that stress. When you’re having trouble with something, people usually tell you to take a break and come back to it. That same advice applies to our everyday lives. Whenever I feel overwhelmed about something, I spend some time away before coming back to it. Whether you watch some TV, take a walk, or even try an at-home workout, we as humans have to take a step away and separate ourselves from these crazy, detrimental lifestyles. Otherwise, stress will negatively hurt our lives and cause harm for years to come.

Ultimately, the importance of de-stressing and relaxing has never been greater. It’s wonderful we live during a time when people speak out so openly about mental health and wellness. Yet, we also live in this advanced world that simultaneously has contributed to these feelings of burnout. While it does always feel like there’s something more to do, we must examine what really matters. There’s a way to balance work and relaxation, a happy middle we all need to strive for. While it’s not easy to achieve, we need to try.  

So, my advice is to take a mental health day off and to go out and enjoy what makes you happy. Go outside, relax, pick up a new book, and de-stress from the world for a day. A little break can make all the difference. 

Gabrielle Chaudry is the president and editor-in-chief at the Her Campus at Susqu chapter. She oversees the editing of articles. Beyond Her Campus, Gabrielle has written for The Quill, Susquehanna University's student newspaper and she has been editor-in-chief of her high school's newspaper. Gabrielle is also a section editor of Susquehanna's yearbook, The Lanthorn. She is currently a senior at Susquehanna University, majoring in journalism with a political science minor and honors minor. In her free time, Gabrielle enjoys writing, reading, and listening to pop music. She's a Hallmark movie lover and finds joy decorating for the holidays and seasons.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University