This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Jeremy Enns via Unsplash

A rising trend among college students and people in their 20s is purchasing plants for their homes, mainly succulents, cactuses, etc. With these types of plants, they are easy to maintain and anyone can own them. Also, it has been found that owning plants can have positive impacts on your health. For me, I decided to follow the plant trend this year and purchased my first mini cactus to have in my off-campus apartment. Soon after, I went on to purchase a succulent to add to my pot, the two plants now sitting proudly on my desk. Before, I did not see the value in owning a plant, as I witnessed so many kill their plants and have little use for them. However, after owning a plant, I have to say that everyone needs to own a plant at some point in their lifetime. Below, I have listed 4 benefits to owning a plant, and hopefully it will convince you to purchase one:

They’re a cute addition to your home

When it comes to house plants, you have a wide selection to choose from. If you are looking for something more ambitious, you could go for an ivy plant or one of the mini trees to stick in a corner of your house. Or, you could go for something small and find a cute pot to stick it in. Stores like Urban Outfitters or even Home Depot, provide you with a great array of pots and hanging planters that you can place all over your house, apartment, or dorm.

They give you a sense of responsibility

As a 20-year-old college student, I’m still trying to navigate the adult world, with going to class, paying rent, maintaining my space, etc. At times, it can feel like I’m all over the place and it can be hard to get organized. I’ve found that a plant can give you a sense of responsibility, as you need to keep up with making sure it has enough soil and ensuring that it gets watered enough times. For me, I only own succulents, so I only have to worry about watering them once a month. 

They improve air quality

I am newly aware of this information, but houseplants have been proven to improve air quality in your space. Plants produce oxygen to help with dry skin and respiratory ailments, helping to make your space a comfortable and liveable place to function. Plus, they look cute in their pots while doing so.

They help with your mental health

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, interactions with indoor plants can reduce psychological and physiological stress. As 85% of our lives is spent indoors, even starting at a plant in a room can greatly improve stress and anxiety, and overall boost your mood. This has to do with the comforting effects of a natural environment.

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.