This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Like many of my peers, I use birth control. I have always used a contraceptive pill but I know there are many other options out there. Below I’d like to talk about the options of low-dose Estrogen contraceptives since that is what I am most familiar with. I have been on a handful of different pill options all for different reasons which lead me to discuss what I was not informed about. I wish women would talk about birth control more and talk directly to their gynecologist (GYN) to be informed about their reproductive health. 

I have gone on a very long journey with my use of contraceptives. Recently I finally found what I would consider the right option. I first went on the pill when I was in middle school (I know young) because my skin was so bad. My dermatologist suggested the pill to control both my oil production and hormonal acne. Hormonal acne is seen around your jawline, chin, and lower cheeks. Acne seems to be one of the largest uses for birth control in young teens and adults. My acne was the cause of my first step in my contraceptive journey. 

I came off the pill late in high school but was quickly back on the pill when I was in college. I began having an issue with ovarian cysts bursting. In addition to ovarian cysts, I of course, still had pretty bad acne. Again the pill did not help much with my acne, but it basically fixed my ovarian cyst problem. I had not had a cyst burst for more than a year when it used to be every month or so. This time my pill was prescribed by my Primary Care Physician (PCP). PCPs are an awesome resource, don’t get me wrong! However, they are not trained specifically in reproductive medicine. Their knowledge of the various contraceptives on the market with their different hormones seems to be pretty limited (in my experience). I did not realize this until my PCP switched my birth control after a girly check-up. I had mentioned my skin was still fairly bad and that was really my only complaint so she decided to prescribe a very low dose estrogen contraceptive.

I recently, however, had my first ever gynecology (GYN) appointment. I finally went directly to a medical professional in female reproductive medicine which I should have done long ago. When I spoke with my GYN I mentioned my skin, my ovarian cyst issue, and my issues of both constant bloating and mild pain. She asked what birth control I was on during my exam and she was quick to notice some things about my body. She informed me I was totally on the wrong pill! She prescribed me a pill with a higher dose of Estrogen because my Testosterone levels were now higher than my Estrogen levels. This imbalance can lead to oily skin and major hormonal acne. My new birth control also includes Drospirenone which I was told would help me with my acne, bloating and assist in reducing my oil production. 

My PCP had prescribed me a pill that was doing the exact opposite of what I needed and in the end, I developed pill-induced Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I was extremely frustrated. This led me to talk with my GYN about the different options of the pill since that’s the contraceptive I use. I am going to list a few of the pill options below just to inform you of a few. For you ladies on any birth control, I highly recommend going directly through your GYN to ensure you’re on the right doses of hormones and the right contraceptive that will cause other issues like my contraceptive had. 

Birth controls pills with low doses of Estrogen:

1. Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol tablets USP Tablets (Yaz)

This is the pill I am currently taking. I only started taking this a few weeks ago and have had no complaints so far! As I said previously, this pill contains Drospirenone to help with bloating, my oily skin and scalp (I had to wash everyday desperately) and acne. This pill also has Estradiol to assist with my imbalance of Estrogen. 

2. Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets (Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo)

I had also previously been on this pill when I first had an ovarian cyst burst. The Emergency Room first prescribed this when I went because I thought I had appendicitis. The pain was that bad and in the right location. My PCP then continued to prescribe it. I was hopeful it would also help with my acne but I saw no real difference. On the other hand, it kept my ovarian cyst issue at bay. On this pill I experienced light periods, less cramping, and less headaches. I did not feel so miserable before my periods like I had with my previous pill

3. Desogestrel Ethinyl Estradiol 0.15 Mg-0.02 Mg (21)/0.01 (5) (Volnea 28)

This is the birth control my PCP switched me to after prescribing me Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo. On this pill I ended up developing pill induced PCOS. This outcome is specific to me and will not happen to everyone! I only ended up with pill induced PCOS because my hormone levels were imbalanced. This was likely due to being on the incorrect pill dosages previously. This contraceptive helped with my acne for a few months but got worse month after month because of my incorrect hormone levels. On the other hand, I had very light periods and basically no cramping or headaches! I unfortunately had a return of my ovarian cysts which was concerning. This led me to believe I was not on the right contraceptive and that it was time to go to a GYN for help. 

4. Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone acetate/ferrous fumarate (Lo Loestrin FE)

This is the last of the many low dose Estrogen pills I wanted to touch on. This pill in particular I have not been prescribed. However, when I was a pharmacy technician, this was one of the popular pill contraceptives I dispensed. Many women loved Lo Loestrin Fe and mentioned no issues or side effects. The only difference about this pill is it also contains Iron (Fe) but not enough to treat those with Iron deficiencies. 

Some women are very secretive about their use of contraceptives, but I prefer to be open about it because there shouldn’t be any shame surrounding its use. Being open about contraceptives can help create a healthy culture where women are encouraged to focus on their reproductive health. I encourage you ladies to communicate directly with your GYN about contraceptive options to ensure you are on the right method for your health and needs.   

Jessica Lioy

Stony Brook '26

My name is Jes Lioy and I am a first year PhD Genetics student at Stony Brook University. I am pursing a career in medical genetics and have the hopes of building an empire of women along the way! I have a small Instagram blog, Lady.scientist where I empower women in STEM. I feature women of all backgrounds and points in their career. I am also a student who struggles with mental health which will be discussed in my writing. There are not enough conversations occurring about mental in higher education or in society. My goal is to contribute to ending the stigma around mental health. I am also part of the Leading Women of Tomorrow and GWiSE organizations at SBU. I hope to create an empowering, safe and encouraging presence for all my readers. Always feel free to reach out to discuss concerns, my writing, or just say Hi! I am also a corgi mom! So give my blog a follow or keep posted on my articles as I will absolutely talk about him and post pictures!