How to Practice Real Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

“Self-care” is phrase heavily used as a reminder to keep your mental health a priority, and rightly so. Doing what is best for you will promote growth, bringing you away from stress and closer to peace. But sometimes, self-care is defined as taking a bubble bath, reading a book, and drinking tea. Yet, while it can embody activities like these, it goes much deeper than the cutesy Tumblr type of relaxation.

Self-care can mean getting out of bed, doing the homework you have been ignoring for three days, and taking a shower. This can ease your stress by making you feel you have accomplished something. It’s also remembering to eat something and keep yourself hydrated. Food is necessary to maintain a balance of energy and drinking water sustains life and has health benefits which can improve how you feel. Get a good night’s sleep and avoid pulling all-nighters, which can mess up your sleep schedule. If you do this to study by cramming, try starting a few days earlier and spreading out the information you have to take in, so you have time for shut-eye. Self-care can be cleaning your room because it is linked to being more active, physically healthier, less stressed, and more focused. These actions can help you be more productive and improve your mood.

There are other actions that feel less like chores which can be in your mental health’s best interest. Take a walk outside; it will connect you with nature, give you fresh air, and take you out of your stuffy dorm. Socialize and place yourself in positive settings because laughter really is the best medicine. Cutting out a toxic friend or letting go of something that has been holding you back, which can both be hard, can drastically improve your demeanor. Engage in small acts of kindness, because caring for others can help you care for yourself. Pamper yourself by taking that aforementioned bath and having a spa day, or by treating yourself to those shoes you’ve been wanting to buy for a month.

Take time to appreciate who you are and work towards goals completing the tasks on your to-do list and achieving a peaceful, positive mindset. If you feel too overwhelmed, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Someone will always be there for you. Self-care is so important and it can be interpreted in any way that fits your personal outlook and lifestyle to develop your own methods. Try practicing these suggestions as a guide when you spend the time to care for yourself!

Gifs courtesy of Giphy and Tenor Gif. 

Julie Truncali

Stony Brook '21

Stony Brook University Class of 2021 Civil Engineering Major New York Farm Girl
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor