This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

If you’re doing your best to minimize the spread of COVID-19 and spend the majority of your time at home now, you’re not alone. If on top of that you’re one of the millions of people in the U.S. with anxiety, you’ve come to the right place. As someone with a general anxiety disorder, I’m slowly becoming an expert on how to make myself feel better when a wave of anxiety hits me while I sit on my couch. No longer can I go to my friend’s dorm room down the hall and lay on their floor until I feel better. No longer can I take a walk to my favorite place on campus (the spot in between the psych buildings). However, I do have a few years of coping with these waves under my belt. So, the next time you’re lying in bed and that anxiety creeps up on you, try doing something that takes your mind to a different place.

My absolute favorite thing to do when I’m anxious is to clean! I know cleaning doesn’t always sound like the most fun thing to do, but hear me out. If you’re home alone most of the time, chances are your place can get a little cluttered. Decluttering your surroundings is the first step to clearing your mind. After tidying up a bit, I head straight for those dishes that have been sitting in my sink for the past three days. I don’t know about you, but having my sink finally clear feels like a weight has been lifted. 

If your place is already clean, try rearranging your space! Whether it’s your bedroom at your parents’ house or your apartment living room, it always feels good to switch it up. I know sometimes that change, no matter how minor, can be hard. However, give yourself a few days to get used to the new arrangement and if you don’t like it, you can always swap back. Either way, I promise you’ll feel so accomplished once you’re done.

Lately, I’ve been trying to exercise more. I’ve been told numerous times that exercising helps with anxiety, but I just never got it until recently. The key is finding something you actually enjoy doing. After a lifetime of feeling like exercising was a chore, I’ve discovered that dancing is actually fun. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that no, I don’t really hate all exercise. If you’re like me and wondering how to get started, YouTube has plenty of great tutorials and, of course, Tiktok dances. Personally, I revived a piece of my childhood and bought Just Dance and it’s amazing.

After exercising, or whenever really, have a little self-care moment. Do a facemask, shave your legs (if you’re into that,) wash your hair, etc. You absolutely cannot go wrong with spending time on your body. If you’re feeling especially anxious and/or bold, I might suggest doing something with your hair. Cutting or dyeing your hair may be one of the most therapeutic feelings. I mean, that’s why I have red hair and bangs. It’s really a win-win situation because if you mess up, who’s going to see you? Plus, hair grows back! Conversely, if your hair turns out well, now you have a fresh new style!

Whatever your style of coping, whether it be moving your body or your surroundings, dancing or laying on the floor, know that there are healthy options out there for you. This pandemic has been hard on everyone, not just us with anxiety. You’re not alone, and you’ll get through each wave of anxiety and come out stronger. Please remember to take your meds if you have them, drink plenty of water, and take care of yourself. I know sometimes it’s hard to do it for yourself, especially if you’re alone. If you find yourself in this situation, try telling yourself that you’re doing it for the future you. Future you will be grateful, I promise.

Kennedy is a senior at Stony Brook University studying Human Evolutionary Biology and Anthropology. She is a longtime feminist, which you'll often see reflected in her work. After graduation, Kennedy hopes to turn her passion into a career by pursuing a PhD in Women's and Gender Studies. When she's not in class or writing, you can find her reading her newest favorite book (Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman), spending time with cats in need of homes, or relaxing with her boyfriend.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.