6 Workouts You Can Do in Your Dorm Room in Less Than 10 Minutes (and Still Sweat!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I don’t know about you, but when winter comes a knocking, I honestly weigh whether or not the gym is worth the trek through the blistering cold weather. Spoiler alert: most times I just end up back under the covers and I try to convince myself that I’ve made the right decision. Besides, if you go to the gym you have to spend time walking there, then walking back, then showering, then getting dressed, and all that takes up extra time that a student with 20-page papers, final projects and class presentations can’t afford. But with so many easy-to-follow workout videos on YouTube and Instagram, you don’t even need to be on a treadmill or elliptical to get a good workout. All you need is some space in your room and a phone for music. Here are 6 super easy workouts you can literally do in your pajamas. So if you don’t feel like going to the gym, you can bring the gym to you. 

1. Burpees

I know, I know, it’s everyone’s *favorite* workout. But burpees are probably the ultimate workout since you engage your entire body instead of just one or two muscle groups. Start with a small goal, like 20 burpees a day. Put on your favorite motivational music, and start off slow. Make sure you reach your arms all the way up over your head, lower yourself into a push-up position and really feel your abs contract when you hop back in.

2. Squat Jumps

Wanna get a super toned booty while still getting your daily dose of cardio? Squat jumps are the workout for you! Really squat as low as you can, making sure your knees don’t go past your toes. When you jump up, make sure you land as gently on your feet as possible. They’re super easy, and you’ll start sweating after just a few!

3. Leg Lifts

This is the perfect workout for anyone who loves their bed. Just lay on one side and lift your leg in the air, making sure to control each lift so you actually work the muscles in your legs—don’t just throw them in the air wildly. Switch to the other side when you’re done. You can do this on a yoga mat, too if you have one, or on the floor.

4. Russian Twists

If you hate sit-ups but still want to engage your ab muscles, try the Russian twist. Sit on your booty while keeping your legs in the air. Interlock your fingers and twist from side to side without letting your feet touch the floor. And if you really want to feel the burn, squeeze your abs as tight as you can while twisting.

5. Jumping Jacks You seriously can never go wrong with jumping jacks. Like burpees, they engage your whole body, so you’ll probably start sweating after a couple of minutes. Make sure all your movements are deliberate and controlled so you get the most out of the workout.

6. Jumping Lunges

If lunges no longer cut it for you and you want to challenge yourself a little more (because college *clearly* doesn’t do that enough) move on to jumping lunges. As with squats, make sure your knees don’t go past your toes. Form really matters here so you don’t get hurt, so start slow to make sure you have the movement down.

Try out one of these workouts or a combination of some of them—or all of them if you’re really feeling gutsy!

Jasmin is a News Blogger at Her Campus and chapter member at Her Campus Stony Brook. She enjoys blogging, photography, exercising and super sharp eyeliner. Check out her college lifestyle blog Macarons & Mascara and follow her on Twitter @jay_su_
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor