you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Julie’s Yoga with a Twist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Yoga is one of my favorite pastimes. I’ve always loved to set aside time during the week to stretch, build strength, and just breathe. When I came to Saint Vincent, I was curious if they’d even have a yoga class and to my surprise, they did … but it’s much more than that.

Instructor Julie’s enthusiasm for the practice makes me love it that much more and I’m always eager to attend class every week. Yoga with a Twist is perfect for beginners and experienced yogis alike! I could go on and on about the benefits, but I’ll let Julie speak for herself and share her passion for yoga with you!

Thank you, Julie, for agreeing to this interview with me! I’m excited to share your story and hopefully encourage some new students to attend yoga. For starters, how long have you been teaching at Saint Vincent?

I started way back in 1985! (Long before many SVC current students were born.) I always say the students stay the same age and I continue to get older. Never did I think I would still be teaching after all these years. I love what I do and most of all I am blessed beyond words for each year and each class.

I was hired as a Hi-Energy, Hi Impact Cardio/Aerobic Trainer in 1985. It was always a joke that the professors and employees could hear me and my class yelling and jumping all through the college!

I don’t take exercise for granted.  Being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis a disease in which the immune systems eats away at the protective covering of nerves. MS can cause many different symptoms including vision loss, pain, severe fatigue and impaired physical coordination. When first diagnosed. it hit me very hard having loss of vision, difficulty walking and severe fatigue. I did not think I would ever teach my classes again. After trying many different therapies, I finally found the RIGHT one for me.

You truly are awesome! I love that you’ve taken something that could’ve been a set back, compromised to continue doing something you enjoy, and now share that enthusiasm with us. Your yoga class is unlike any other I’ve attended (which is why I LOVE it), but what inspired the upbeat environment?

So sadly, I knew I couldn’t teach a high impact class any longer. After working it all out with Jym Walters and the Athletic Personnel, it was decided to begin a Yoga class. This is where YOGA WITH A TWIST came to be! Being a more hyper/upbeat person, I didn’t feel comfortable teaching a slow, serious type of YOGA with slow music. I like little beats with my yoga – actually I like a lot of beat with my yoga! SO, I made up my own version…College Style…Saint Vincent College style….JULIE’S WORKOUT YOGA WITH A TWIST.

That describes it perfectly! Could you explain the class a little more in depth for someone who hasn’t attended before?

So, the class begins at 12:30 pm to 1:20 pm every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We begin with a short quite time, meditation to UNWIND our minds with a mix of breathing, stretching, peace body and mind wellbeing for a positive beginning. I also mix some pilates, tightening, toning and and reshaping!

Half way through our class the music gets a high beat and we turn it up for our standing balances and all the students are encouraged to take a turn in the front. This shows that everyone is on different levels of their Yoga practice!

For anyone who has not tried my class….COME ON IN !! You will feel right at home and happy. You don’t even have to bring your own mat! We have plenty.

Many of our St. Vincent sports teams practice Yoga.  Men’s football, men and women’s Rugby, Lacrosse, basketball, swimming and soccer all participate.

Love it! This class perfectly embodies the community here at Saint Vincent. So, in your opinion, what makes this such a special place to teach yoga and what has been the most rewarding part of your exercise program here over the years?

I’m always so excited to see all  the students coming in and happy to do yoga with me. THE MOST rewarding part of my day is St. Vincent College students taking my classes, smiling and being kind to one another. Its fun and most of all WE DON’T JUDGE!

My Yoga class is my blessing and that is why I say always, MY YOGA, MY BLESSINGS. Our mottos are Unwind your Mind and Don’t try hard, try easy. Most of all YOGA is a practice.  EVERYONE is welcome. The more you practice the more flexibility and strength will flow.

I am grateful beyond words that I have been able to stay in my happy place teaching at SVC. Many, many classes have come and gone. I love them all. How blessed I am, how grateful and humbled that I am able to continue through the challenges of MS!

If I can do it, so can you.  Please join us or come watch class!

You can see why I love this class – so positive and upbeat! Julie has created a welcoming environment for us students to take just an hour away from our busy schedules to simply breathe and unwind our minds!

Julie also asks if readers would visit her Facebook page and give it a like: JULIE’S WORKOUT – YOGA WITH A TWIST. Click HERE to view a video that shows off how awesome her class truly is.

HCXO and Namaste,

Ashley