6 Thanksgiving Sides You Won’t Feel Guilty Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Thanksgiving is the time for being thankful, cherishing your loved ones and stuffing your face! Sometimes we’d all rather leave the table feeling satisfied than full, unhealthy and sluggish. Finding recipes that are quick, tasty and unique can be difficult, so we thought we’d find a few for you. Wow your friends and family with these delicious and nutritious side dishes.

1. Farro, cranberry and goat cheese salad

Salad without leafy greens? GET OUT! This recipe takes about 15 minutes to make and it’s such a unique dish you won’t have to worry about not having enough variety at your table! All you’ll need is farro (a healthier grain), balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic powder, rosemary, olive oil, dried cranberries, parsley, and goat cheese crumbles.

2. Parmesan carrot fries 

Just the name of this dish sounds amazing, yet somehow still healthy. The ingredients are simple and it also takes about 15 minutes to cook. It calls for carrots, olive oil, salt, pepper, basil and Parmesan.

3. Roasted parmesan green beans

You really can’t go wrong when it comes to having cheesy dishes at Thanksgiving, so here’s another recipe to give a go. This recipe includes green beans, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan. This sounds so easy to make and even easier to eat! (This might even been the replacement for that green bean casserole served every year.)

4. Roasted brussels sprouts, butternut squash, pecans and cranberries 

This recipe has a two-step process: roasting the brussels sprouts and roasting the butternut squash, then mixing it all together. All you need are brussels sprouts, olive oil, salt, butternut squash, maple syrup, cinnamon, pecan halves and dried cranberries. This is a sweet dish that will fill you up without all that regret!

5. Mashed cauliflower “potatoes” 

The great thing about cauliflower is that it’s so versatile; even if you don’t think you like it, adding seasoning or a good sauce makes a world of difference. All you’ll need here is cauliflower, garlic cloves, thyme, chives, salt and pepper. The recipe is fast to whip up so it won’t take too much time out of your day.

6. Fruit salad 

If you think those recipes will take too long or look too difficult, there’s always the classic fruit salad. This is where you can let your creativity shine through. Feel free to throw in any fruit you want. It can even serve as a dessert alternative! 

Your family and friends will be so impressed and #thankful for your skills in the kitchen after bringing one of these dishes to your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving. Let us know what you thought of these recipes! 

Cooper Crews

South Carolina

Cooper is a senior at the University of South Carolina studying public relations. Some of her favorite things are Harry Potter, adrenaline filled adventures, being outdoors, loving on her rescue pup Charlie and binge watching Netflix. After graduation, she hopes to travel the world and find her dream job in public relations. 
SC Contributor

South Carolina