The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at South Carolina chapter.

Let’s get real: having stomach issues suck. You wake up not feeling comfortable in your body, and that’s both inconvenient and sad. I don’t feel as confident or as healthy when my IBS is acting up, and it keeps me from doing the things I want to do. Although I was only diagnosed with IBS a year and a half ago, and I’m still learning how to manage it, I have found some tips and tricks along the way that have helped me.

1. Take those pills! (vitamins)

My doctor told me that a lot of bloating and other bad feelings come from not getting the proper nutrients. That being said, don’t start randomly taking a B3 pill because Tik-Tok said so. I recommend taking a daily multivitamin so you know you’re getting everything you need. If you want to get more specific and target issues directly, talk to your doctor about suggestions. Or, if you have the means, there are even personalized vitamin services you can take advantage of.

1. Drink water

Just don’t get dehydrated. I will say that drinking too much water has an equally damaging effect, so be sure to find some middle ground. Tea is a good idea too, and I even like to drink hot water after a big meal.

1. Get active!

If you live on your laptop like me, it can be easy to forget to do the essentials and get moving! Stretch out that tummy, go for walks, do yoga, or whatever makes you feel good.

1. Eat healthy & avoid late-night snacking

Ok. Some nights you simply feel compelled to eat two pop tarts and a lean cuisine pizza after a night out, and that’s ok. I have definitely been in that exact situation. But, for the sake of your stomach, don’t make it a habit. Help your body by making mealtimes consistent and eating veggies and protein when you can!

My doctor recommended a low FODMAP diet for me, but I’ll be honest, I haven’t always followed it. I love lattes (milk) and mushrooms are one of my favorite vegetables. Sill, be mindful that if you’re not feeling good, it might be what you eat, so find that balance of foods you love and foods you need. I recommended experimenting with different foods: more fiber or less, greens or a vegan diet; everyone’s body has different needs and your trigger foods might be someone else’s healing ones. 

1. Manage your stress

Believe it or not, stress is one of the main triggering factors of IBS. Soothe yourself and be free!

I hope these tips can help you in some way!

Camryn Teder

South Carolina '22

Camryn is a media arts major at the University of South Carolina. She loves Gus Dapperton, indie films, and her two dachshunds Gretchen and Heidi. You can find her laughing with friends over coffee, listening to Lily Allen on repeat, or day dreaming about Chicago.