This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Fall semester has begun and syllabus week is over. Now the reality sets in that you actually have to work out. Some people love making their own work out plans and going to the gym by themselves, but others work better in a group setting with an instructor. Luckily, the Dedman Center offers workout classes for all students. I love going to the classes with my friends and here are a few of my favorites.

Zumba:

This class is for anyone who loves to dance, but you don’t have to have any dance background to join. The instructors are always upbeat and everyone tends to catch on to the moves quickly.  With Zumba, each instructor puts his or her own twist on the different songs and choreography so you never get bored. The Latin dances work your muscles and cardio, but it doesn’t feel like a workout at all. 

Power Yoga:

This class is for anyone who loves yoga, but is looking for something to work muscular endurance as well. It works out all of your muscles, but also provides you with relaxation and meditation like yoga.    I do recommend taking a yoga class before this one because it is more advanced. 

Spin:

Spin is a great class for anyone willing to sweat.  It is a unique cardio workout that motivates you to keep up with those around you. Along with cardio, it definitely works out your leg muscles and gets you in great shape. This class is also offered as a PRW II class, so you should definitely check it out!

Kickboxing:

This is a popular high energy class that is a cardio workout.  Kickboxing gets your heart rate up while working out both your lower and upper body.  I recommend this to anyone who wants a high endurance workout in a group setting.

Water Aerobics:

If you’re looking for something different and challenging, this class is for you.  Water Aerobics is very difficult, but it also gets you in great shape.  Working out in the pool is a cool experience and you are constantly moving because your feet don’t touch the ground.  You use water weights and flotation devices to create a unique workout. 

From the pool to the studio, the Dedman center offers a wide variety of fun workout classes for everyone.  So, next time you go to the gym stop by the front desk and ask about classes that might interest you.  

Broadcast Journalism Major Advertising Minor From Orange County, California