Personal Essay: Running My First Half Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

This article is part two of my personal essay series about running in the 2016 Dallas Marathon. Read part one here.

I did it! I finished my first half marathon and I even beat my goal time! Yet when I showed up to the starting line I felt I had made a terrible mistake, as it was drizzling and very chilly. Luckily the weather eased up throughout the race. All I can really say is that I am extremely glad I trained as much as I did. I felt very prepared throughout the race and knew what to expect of my body. Yet of course my nerves got the best of me. I started off running, as my mother would say, “like a bat out of hell.” Mostly because I was extremely excited to finally get moving after standing around in the cold for an hour.

I was shocked with how quickly the race went by. There were so many distractions on the course like spectators with funny signs, beer and mimosa stations, and even a naked cowboy. It was also extremely fun running with thousands of people and running through cool parts of Dallas like Highland Park and Deep Ellum. I knew some of my friends would be at mile seven so that was a great motivativator, and it gave me the burst of energy I needed.

Before the race I ran my longest run three weeks ago, which was 10 miles. So when I got to mile 10 I knew I had mentally succeeded and was very close to the finish line. That being said, the last 3.1 miles killed me – like really killed me. Because I had started the race so quickly my body was fatigued and my pace slowed down. I tried my best to run the last mile as quickly as I could; yet it probably looked like I was going very slowly. But crossing the finish line still running was a huge accomplishment for me.

After the race my body was obliterated. Luckily they provided water snacks at the finish line (plus multiple water and Gatorade stations throughout race). My calves were the most sore, and it was hard to even walk after the race, let alone trying to get into my friend’s car! The rest of my day involved lounging around, napping, and eating an insane amount of food.

Now that it’s over, I feel extremely accomplished. I set a goal and I accomplished it. If someone told me just six months ago that I would have trained and run a half marathon I would have thought they were joking. But now just days later, I know I am addicted to that feeling of accomplishment. I’m now thinking about training for a full marathon, but it probably won’t be anytime soon. Honestly if I can run a half, anyone can. The hardest part is signing up, so just go ahead and do it already! 

Interested in running a marathon? Check out our list of fall races to run in Dallas.

Catherine Lehman is a senior at Southern Methodist University studying Psychology and English. When she is not neftlixing or chilling in her sorority house she can be found at Nekter eating an Acai Bowl.
We are the SMU Team.