DFW races to keep you in shape this holiday season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The holiday season is approaching– fast. To prevent the inevitable holiday weight gain as copious amounts of Thanksgiving turkey, stuffing and sweets are consumed, staying in shape is essesntial. 

The cooler weather that comes with fall offers more opportunity to workout outdoors. With a light breeze and changing leaves, who wouldn’t want to run outside? For those who love to run and be active, the following list is a compilation of “fun runs” guaranteed to keep you healthy into the new year. 

1. BE Festival – Super Hero Run on Nov. 12

Want to fulfill your dream of being a caped hero? Then put on your spandex and “BE Super” by signing up for this Super Hero Run on Nov. 12. This is a 1-mile, 5K and 10K event that’ll take runners through the Captial of Texas in Historic Square, Glen Rose, Texas. As part of the BE Festival, a 3-day event where people get inspired and motivated to do things on their bucket list, this is a “super” event you won’t want to miss.

2. 5K Run Dead – Zombie Run on Nov. 12

Do you have what it takes to survive a zombie apocalypse? Test your endurance, strength and speed by running through a 5K “zombie-infested” course. This charity event will donate 100 percent of its proceeds toward scientific research on cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Located by Dallas Love Field Airport, this nearby race is a quick zip, hop and skip away to fulfill your Walking Dead dreams.

3. Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot on Nov. 24

A Dallas tradition like no other– this 5K and 8-mile event celebrates the 49th annual Dallas Turkey Trot race. Starting at 9 a.m. at Dallas City Hall, the city’s community congregates to celebrate Thanksgiving before the big feast. Proceeds for this event benefit YMCA programs to help strengthen the foundation of the Dallas community.

4. The Christmas Classic Run on Dec. 3

“Bells are ringing, children are singing…all is happy and bright” at this race! Come join the Christmas fun as the Christmas Classic Run will fill Fair Park with holiday music, Santa Claus, and decorations galore after running this fun course! This 5K fun run will help bring the holiday spirit to all, leaving all participants feeling as jolly as St. Nick himself.

5. BMW Dallas Half + Full Marathon on Dec. 11

Sponsored by BMW, this year’s Dallas half and full marathon will take place in downtown Dallas. The annual race will benefit the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children to help fund research and medicine to continue to change patient’s lives. This city race will be broadcasted on television, so participants can truly test their athleticism and endurance for all to see this Christmas.

Olivia is a Contributing Writer for Her Campus and a junior at Southern Methodist University. Her intended major is Journalism with a minor in Business Management. At SMU, she is the Managing Editor for SMU Campus Weekly and an associate for the Best Buddies program. In her free time, Olivia can be found eating sushi, cuddling her dog Arlow or working out. Be sure to follow her on Snapchat @livnguyen.
We are the SMU Team.