stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Try These Mindful Sleep Habits!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

1. Consistency is key

Going to bed at the same time every night is ideal.  This includes the workweek and weekends, which is often not practical, especially for college students. But having a set of nighttime rituals can aid in falling asleep faster.  Rituals like enjoying a cup of decaffeinated tea or journaling fit in well and can help you wind down from your day.

2. Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol.

Most people are aware that caffeine and nicotine are stimulants, but alcohol decreases the effects of sleep as well.  Although many people think a nightcap will help them relax and catch some z’s, it lowers the quality of sleep, according to the American Sleep Association.

3. Make your bed

Your mom was right, you should make your bed.  Making your bed when you wake up will help signal your brain that sleep has ended and the day begins.  This helps your brain differentiate between when you are trying to sleep and any other time where you might be sitting on your bed during the daytime.

4. Don’t check the time

Most of us have gotten into the cycle of checking our phone for the time repetitively.  Doing mental math to figure out how sleep deprived you will be the next day is rather counterproductive.  Focusing on mindful breathing is a much more effective use of your brainpower and can help ease some of your racing thoughts.

Lily is a sophomore at SLU from Pittsburgh. She loves fashion, politics, and trying new recipes.