This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Plastic consumption has taken a literal meaning in regards to our bodies, even before birth. According to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), plastic pollution in our oceans and other bodies of water is expected to more than double by 2030. The consequences of having plastic in our oceans are vast. However, microplastics are becoming a growing concern. 

Microplastics are particles smaller than five millimeters in diameter from the degradation of plastics in the environment. These particles, in turn, can enter animals, including humans. The dangers of having plastic in our bodies are not yet clear. However, growing unease stems from the detection of microplastics in the placentas of unborn babies. Although the health impacts of microplastics are still under study, the potential long-term damage plastic chemicals have on a fetus’s growth and immune system are not looking bright. 

Mothers who have inhaled, drunk or consumed microplastics can pass them on through their bloodstream and umbilical cord into the growing fetus. The umbilical cord passes on necessary nutrients and oxygen to the growing fetus during the fetus’ most critical moments of organ, vessel, and membrane system development, according to the journal, “Environment International.” Since the placenta plays such a significant role in fetus development, great concern has risen from the detection of microplastics in the placenta. However, further research is necessary to determine the long-term risks. A study by Sara B. Fournier, a researcher from Rutgers University at the Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute, and her team, discovered that rats exposed to microplastics had significantly lower fetal and placenta weights compared to controlled groups. Microplastics were detected in the placenta, fetal liver, lungs, heart, kidney, and brain. Translocation of plastic particles from the placenta to the fetus of rat studies may be similar to humans. Further studies need to be conducted as very little is currently understood about the toxicology of microplastics. However, attention must be drawn to the root of the problem.

Drastic reduction of plastic is critical for our future.  Recycling is simply not enough. Even biodegradable plastics have alternative damaging aspects to the environment. The best solution is to reduce our usage of plastics altogether. This does not mean never using plastics ever again. We should simply avoid unnecessary purchases and waste. There are three Rs in reduce, reuse, and recycle, and although recycling is the most prominent, we have to start using the first two more often. 

Collective action is a must in order to protect and restore our oceans to both the natural ecosystems and our health. In this day and age, every person counts, and change starts at this basic level. It breaks my heart knowing that our children are impacted by our current pollution dilemma, even before birth. However, as more attention and research is being called to this concern, I have hope that by 2030, we will still have an ocean to protect. 

My name is Tracy Si (she/her). I am a sophomore at Saint Louis University majoring in psychology BS and minoring in Biology. I am on the Pre-med path and am interested in social issues and new innovations in science.