Start Implementing the Law of Detachment into your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Why is it so difficult to let go? 

Most of the time, our anxiety about a specific person, situation or concept stems from us overthinking the worst possible scenarios. We tend to hold on to those negative thoughts and associate them with the potential outcome when in reality, it does not happen. These pessimistic thoughts derive from essentially nothing, so why do we focus all of our attention on them?

After the matter, we reach the ability to let go of it, but only once it is resolved and we have done our part with it. But what if we had the ability to let go of caring about the outcome prior to it happening?

The law of detachment can be described as the ability to release the control of an outcome of a situation when it is not in your control. This also applies to letting go of the feeling of attachment for your desires and goals, as well as the need to control other people and their circumstances. 

We must detach ourselves from the end result of a situation in order to let what we desire actually occur in the physical world. Detachment is one of the most important aspects of achieving true, profound fulfillment. Once we achieve the ability to let go and feel satisfied with what we have at the present moment, peace of mind, love, productivity, and acceptance will be achieved. 

This is when the things we want start to materialize, even if it does not end up the way expected. We are so content with how we are doing currently that the outcome almost does not matter. 

A key part of this is to focus on all of the actions you can take towards your desires and believe that they will happen when the time is right. When we put too much pressure on the unknown, it causes us to spiral and have the heavy toll of worrying on our shoulders. We have to accept what is occurring, even if it is not what we initially wanted.

It all comes down to separating yourself and your emotions from your overall goals.

Personally, I follow these six rules when practicing the law of detachment:

1. Allow others to be who they are
  2. Allow yourself to be who you are
  3. Do not force situations
  4. Solutions will emerge
  5. Uncertainty is reality
  6. Embrace change

Reminding myself of these things greatly benefits my way of living in all aspects of life. I decided to put all my attention into what I can control today and in turn, I get closer to where I want to be every day. I even forget what my outcome could be in the first place since I stopped caring about what is out of my control. I found that by doing this, I leave room for something higher and better to come.

Tag us on Instagram, @HerCampusSJSU, with your rules of practicing the law of detachment! 

Hi !! I'm Mikaila and I am currently a fourth year at SJSU majoring in Communication Studies. I enjoy writing as it allows me to express my thoughts and opinions and share them with others!