This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

If you have been putting your body through mental and physical fatigue throughout the week it might be important to recharge. Engaging in self care means setting aside the time to do things that will contribute to your wellbeing. 

Southern Hampshire University explains, “Engaging in a self-care routine has been clinically proven to reduce or eliminate anxiety and depression, reduce stress, improve concentration, minimize frustration and anger, increase happiness, improve energy, and more”. Alongside that there are even several health benefits that go in hand with taking the time to treat yourself. 

Self care shouldn’t be skipped but treated like a necessity! For many people self care can mean a variety of different things. Whether it be putting on some music and dancing in your room or doing a diy face mask. Others prefer sitting back and relaxing, eating out at a new restaurant, or going sightseeing. 

If you’re in the area or are a Bay Area resident, take a look at these five locations to indulge in self care. Take a  chance to get outside the house and explore these spots alone. If you’re not comfortable going alone, ask a friend to tag along.  

1. Dolores Park  

This is one of San Francisco’s most popular parks that is nearby Mission Dolores. The park features an athletic field, dog play area, outdoor basketball court, picnic area, playground and tennis courts. It’s a perfect place to grab a bite and picnic in this location.

Not only is it the heart of a vibrant and culturally diverse neighborhood, you may even encounter cultural events, festivals, and performances. On sunny days many people flock to this location to enjoy the city skyline and overall scenery. This is a great place to snap an Instagram story and the perfect selfie! Here you’ll be surrounded by nothing but absolutely good vibes in this area. 

1. Lands End Trail

In search of a challenge? There’s a three mile trail that you can walk and complete in just half an hour. The trail is famously favored by locals and visitors. Get up and moving by taking a stroll across the beautiful San Francisco Coast.

Just by being out in nature you are able to reduce your stress response within a few minutes.  This particular path allows you to explore Sutro Baths and it offers a beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge and Pacific Ocean. 

1. Dumpling Time  

Foodies can flock to Dumpling Time, a modern California Asian eatery that allows visitors to watch dumplings made fresh on the spot. Whether you go with a friend or dine alone this spot is a must try! 

Popular menu items include: shrimp toast, Maine lobster sui mai, seafood gyoza and the seared BBQ pork bun. 

Although many people are uncomfortable with the idea of dining alone, you do not need to compromise with anyone, reflect on yourself, and you may even meet new people! To amplify this self care experience make sure to stay off your phone if possible. Warm foods such as dumplings are always good for the soul to devour!

1. Exploratorium 

Visit the San Francisco Exploratorium if you’re interested in seeking out exciting interactions. The Exploratorium is a museum of science, technology, and art, yet it takes on the name of a scientific funhouse. In total there are over 600 exhibis and daily demonstrations for your entertainment. If you’re interested in taking a fun and exciting approach to self care, this may be the place for you. 

For adults 18 and up you are invited to the After Dark event from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. You’ll become immersed in a display of large kaleidoscopes, dazzling lights, and mind bending mirrors. Even in the dark these exhibits still remain interactive making this a unique experience. During after hours, you are able to grab a drink and explore what is around you.  

1. Kabuki Springs and Spa

There’s nothing else like a spa day to relax your body. Come decompress at San Francisco Japantown’s Kabuki Springs and Spa. It is most known for being an oasis in serenity. In a Japanese inspired bathhouse you are able to bathe in these healing waters and receive messages from skilled hands. 

They provide services such as massage therapy, botanical facials, and other types of spa treatments. Spa days can be especially helpful in helping you feel better by increasing blood flow and circulation in the body. Spas have been around for centuries and they aren’t going anywhere soon. There’s a reason why it has remained such a huge practice in many countries over time. You owe it to yourself to be pampered. 

Are you interested in any of these self care spots? Let us know by tagging @HerCampusSJSU

Amanda Kim is a Communication Studies major and Business minor at San Jose State University. She is looking forward to sharing content around health and wellness, and how to communicate within relationships. In her free time she enjoys fitness, cooking, and reading.