jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Are You Taking Mental Health Breaks?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJSU chapter.

Being online all day and overworking yourself can be exhausting and detrimental to your mental health and well-being. Mental health breaks are short breaks during the day to step back and recharge. It’s essential to take time to yourself to do something to take your mind off school and work.

These breaks can also rejuvenate you to be more productive and improve your performance. If you are constantly working, it can negatively affect your performance or ability to finish tasks to the best of your ability. The best times to take breaks are between classes, after classes, and at night before bed.

Mental health breaks do not mean scrolling through social media or using your phone. My favorite things to do are read a book and take a walk outside when I feel overworked or need a break from my screen. Here are some other fun things to do when taking a break:

• Take a walk
  • Go on a jog
  • Color in a coloring book
  • Journal
  • Rest (take a power nap)
  • Meditate
  • Eat a snack
  • Make a meal
  • Bake something
  • Play a board game with your family
  • Talk to a friend or family member
  • Do a YouTube workout
  • Jam out to music
  • Read a book
  • Draw or doodle
  • Decorate your room

This is just a small list of what to do during a mental health break; there’s so much more. Remember to use your days off on the weekend to do things that you enjoy, and don’t overwork yourself!

Even the smallest things can make you feel happier and more productive. Think to yourself: did I take a mental health break today? If not, go for it, and then get back to whatever you were doing. Take care of yourself.

My name is Sachi and I'm a Marketing Major at SJSU and I love photography, going on new adventures, and doing anything creative!
Attending San Jose State University and majoring in marketing. I am a nature child who believes that traveling the world, meeting new people, eating good food, and embracing other cultures is a vital part of life. I enjoy painting, hammocking, and exploring Pinterest whenever I get the chance. Find me on Instagram @camytotah