Wellness > Health

Put a Spring in Your Step in 2021: A Rookie Guide to Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I’ve been a long-distance runner for years, and when the weather takes a turn in the late fall, I usually make the switch from trail to treadmill. That being the case, when a lot of indoor fitness facilities closed last year due to COVID-19, I found it hard to stay active. 

After a bit of a break from physical activity through Christmas, I’m back in the saddle again this spring and feeling better than ever. And since a lot of regular fitness classes and spaces aren’t operating as usual yet, I thought I’d share the tips I’ve picked up over the years as a runner and how they’ve changed during the pandemic. 

Never underestimate the power of a proper shoe 

It can be hard not to get caught up in trendy athleisure brands like Adidas and Puma. These companies always seem to have a new famous athlete that they’re sponsoring, and that can lead consumers to believe in the quality of their apparel (and the price it’s sold at). As a runner, your top priority should be to protect your body with supportive shoes. If you don’t, you run the risk of injuring yourself.  With that in mind, I recommend visiting a professional running outlet or podiatrist to get advice on the best shoe for your foot type. That’ll give you some ideas of what to look for in a shoe in your price range. Once you have that down, check out these podiatrists’ round up of the best running shoes for women in 2021. I went through several reputable brands before I discovered my favourite, Saucony*, so don’t be disheartened if it takes a little while to get the perfect fit! 

Try out an app to help you meet your goals 

Whether you’re aiming for speed, distance or both, there are tons of apps on the market to help you stay motivated and build endurance. If you’re just starting out, my personal recommendation is the Couch to 5k Runner app by Fitness 22. The program eases you into walk/run routines that gradually increase in length and difficulty until eventually you’re running 5 kilometers at a great pace! But the best thing about Fitness 22 is that they don’t stop there. Once you’ve finished that program, you can move right on to the next one with their 10k Runner, and even the 21k Half Marathon Runner apps if you’re really ambitious! 

But if you’ve checked out Fitness 22 and their program didn’t work for you, no worries. App developers are getting creative with fitness these days. Zombie’s Run gets your heart pumping with 200 missions where you race to outrun zombies in an apocalyptic scene. You can even collect virtual supplies along your route, join virtual races, and help build a virtual base camp. This program is great if you’ve got a wild imagination, like to run outdoors, or are interested in interval training and sprinting.

Consider the ground beneath your feet 

To protect your body from the wear and tear that can happen with any regular physical activity over time, follow this cardinal rule: variety is the spice of life. As it turns out, the idea that low impact surfaces like professional tracks and treadmills are ‘better’ for you is a myth. According to numerous study results, the best way to minimize harm is actually to mix up your terrain.  If you’re running several times a week, try to spend one of those days outside on a public trail when the weather permits (and if it’s safe to do so). You can also take to the streets of your neighborhood and go for a jog on the sidewalk. On another day, visit an outdoor track that’s open in your community, or drop in to a local gym in your area if you can find one that’s operating safely with COVID-19. Not only will these different terrains help ensure you’ll have a long and successful running journey, but they’ll also keep you stimulated by switching up your environment!

Join a supportive community 

Starting out as a runner can be daunting and even discouraging at times. There may be days where your body isn’t cooperating or where you’re unable to meet the goals you’d planned for. Unfortunately, a lot of the fitness influencer culture online doesn’t help with that. Decolonizing Fitness is a great space to help you learn how to avoid falling into body image, diet, and unhealthy workout traps perpetuated online. If you’re looking to join a non-judgment focused community of runners where all levels of ability are welcome, there are lots of local groups operating on the Nike Run Club app. And if you’re an SFU student or a Her Campus member, look no further than our Her Campus Running Club! If you’d like to sign up to run a new challenge with us every month, see our Instagram for details on how to do so.

All this to say, if you’ve wanted to start running for a while but weren’t sure how to start, I hope you’ve found something here that motivates and encourages you. If you have, what are you waiting for? Hit the ground running! 

https://www.footandankleassoc.com/blog/post/wearing-the-wrong-fitting-running-shoe-can-cause-serious-injury.html 

https://www.outsideonline.com/1784266/best-running-surface-your-knees#close 

Sydney (she/her or they/them) is a Psychology Major at SFU with a focus in Behavioral Neuroscience. She is passionate about women's physical and mental health and LGBTQ+ issues. In her free time, she is a classical musician and avid long distance runner.