This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Obviously, this entire year has been super stressful for everyone, and it is safe to say that we are all very much looking forward to the new year. However, 2020 isn’t quite over yet and we still have about three long months ahead of us. With that being said, it is extremely important for all of us, especially young generation Z’s such as myself, to remain as grounded and mindful as possible.

There are way too many things going on in our world at once right now. From Coronavirus, to constant injustices, to major climate change, and the crucial 2020 presidential election. These different events have left a mark on the world and has been affecting so many people’s lives in a significant way. Amidst the chaos, there must be some sort of outlet for those of us who have a hard time dealing with the drastic changes and harsh realities of life. For me, what usually helps in stressful times is practicing mindfulness.

I have talked about mindfulness several times before in the past, and it’s been something I have been trying to make into a lifestyle for myself for over a year now. Mindfulness is a type of meditation that encourages the development of a fully aware and present conscious. This mediation is all about maintaining a clear focus on the moments that are presently before you. So, every thought, action, emotion, and even the environment that surrounds you is to be taken in moment by moment while practicing mindfulness.

Many people may look at the word mediation and see it as some boring yoga thing; however, in this case mindfulness doesn’t necessarily have to be practiced just by doing yoga. One can partake in this mediation by simply reading, journaling, and listening to one of the several mindfulness sources that they have out there. Below is a shortlist of books, journals, and apps that encourage the practice of mindfulness.

It is my hope and prayer that we all can make it through the rest of this year fully intact. I encourage anyone who may be reading this to look at this list and try out one of these mindfulness sources. I promise it will bring you so much needed clarity and grounding.

Books:

1. The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself—Michael Alan Singer
  2. No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering—Thich Nhat Hanh

Journals:

1.  Zen as F*ck—Monica Sweeney
  2. Let That Sh*t Go: A Journal for Leaving Your Bullsh*t Behind and Creating A Happy Life—Monica Sweeney
  3. Find Your F*cking Happy: A Happy Journal to Help Pave the Way for Positive Sh*t Ahead—Monica Sweeney
  4. You Are My F*cking Sunshine: A Gratitude Journal for the Sh*t That Makes Your World Happy and Bright—Monica Sweeney

Apps:

1. Headspace: Meditation & Sleep
  2. Five Minute Journal: A Toothbrush for Your Mind
A Creative Writing major who just wants to read, write, and live.
Hello Everyone! My name is Laura Restrepo and I go to SFA. I plan to major in psychology so I can use my degree to help others and make this world a better place. I am a writer for Her Campus. I love to read anything and everything whether its books, magazines, blogs, fan-fiction, journals, etc. I enjoy all types of music; I am open to anything. I am also a huge nerd for Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings/Hobbit series. In conclusion, the perfect day for me consists of these things with coffee and cold weather.