5 Incredible Things Outdoor Pursuits has to Offer at SFA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

I have been a frequent participant at the Rec Center on campus for several years, and therefore I’ve come into close contact with a number of the amazing departments and some of the services they offer. The Outdoor Pursuits department is one of the best sections that the Rec has to offer its participants. They have so much fun stuff to offer that encourages every student to be active or get outdoors and relieve a little stress during such an intense period of every college student’s life. So, here are five things Outdoor Pursuits can offer you:

1. Excellent Staff

Every single staff member that I have encountered has been extremely welcoming and helpful with whatever task I’m trying to accomplish. I got to know a few staff members on my trip in the Appalachian Mountains, and each one of them contributed tremendously to my overall pleasant experience of backpacking. Even if you just want to chat to some pretty cool people about the outdoors, the OP center is the place to go.

2. The Rock Wall

Before you can climb, you must take the certification class that is just about 30 minutes with a member of the rock wall staff. You’ll learn the ins-and- outs of the rock wall, the knots necessary for adequate safety, and how to properly belay for a climber on the wall. Take the class with a friend and you’ll be on your way to climbing in no time. The climbing itself is exhilarating; my favorite part is taking on a challenging route and doing the best I can to reach the top. Even if I don’t make it all the way to the top, I’m thrilled at the progress I make each and every climb. If you’re scared of heights, it can be a little nerve-wracking, but several methods are put into place to ensure your utmost safety. I would definitely recommend each student give the rock wall a try at least once during their time at SFA.

3. Open Climb

Each semester, Outdoor Pursuits puts on an event at the outdoor ropes course across from the commuter lot. The event has already passed this semester, but it’s definitely one to look forward to in the future. I participated in the free event, and I had an absolute blast. Your options include climbing a cargo net, traversing across a single wire with the help of some expertly hung ropes, or climbing a series of poles to reach the 30 foot tower. Once you reach the top of the tower, the only way down is to zip-line to the bottom. My favorite element is called the “Leap of Faith;” with this element, you’re strapped in with a chest harness before you begin climbing a 30 foot pole. Once you reach the top, you have to maneuver yourself around the top of the pole to turn around, and ultimately stand up. My heart was racing, and my palms were sweaty, but I felt a large sense of exhilaration before leaping to a bar about 6 feet away, and finally accomplishment upon completing something that scared me tremendously, and the best part is that each of the staff members ensured my safety along the way and made me feel extremely comfortable.

4. Equipment

This department also offers a wide range of outdoor gear available for day, weekend, or even week long rentals. Some of the equipment offered includes small stuff for a camping trip like sleeping bags, tents, sleeping pads, and even portable stove tops to cook on. Larger items are offered like day packs, and backpacks for hiking and backpacking trips. Or even mountain bikes for a cruise through the many beautiful trails Nacogdoches has to offer. The last of the big items make a day out on the lake ideal with kayak, canoe and paddle board rentals.

5. Planned Trips

There are several trips each semester that are planned to each and every last detail leaving you to just show up and follow directions. The trip costs typically include travel, equipment, and food costs. As advocates of Leave No Trace, the staff members will teach you the proper methods and techniques to ensure that you don’t leave a mark in the wilderness. Interested in participating in an event on campus? There is a calendar on the Campus Recreation website that outlines trip dates, registration deadlines, and trip costs if there are any. Some past trips have included Climbing in the Ozarks, Backpacking the Appalachian Trail, and a Day Hike at Boykin Springs.

Interested in working for a department in Campus Recreation? Attend the Job Fair, Tuesday, March 28 th at 3pm; make sure to dress in business attire and bring a copy of your resume!

Brittny is a Graduate Student of Stephen F. Austin, with a passion for the sciences and medicine. You can't have a million dollar dream with a minimum-wage work ethic.
Greetings, earthlings. My name is Natalie and I am a lover of all things non-routine. A senior Radio/TV Broadcasting major at SFA, I enjoy running races, Netflix & Hulu binging, and traveling on short weekend getaways that I convince myself I can afford. I serve as Her Campus SFA's Campus Correspondent and Editor in Chief.