stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Switch Up Your Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Working out different things not only keeps you more interested in going to the gym, but is also good for your body to use different muscles. Here are a few ways I suggest switching up your workout:

Cardio:

Cardio is important! A person should get their heart rate up for at least twenty minutes a day to stay healthy. Running, biking, rowing, elliptical, stairs. There are a number of ways to get your heart rate up for a sustained period of time. You can run for distance or even work on your fast twitch muscles by doing sprints.

Legs:

Leg day is my favorite day. Usually I start off with back squat because I use the most weight here. For each different workout, I do three to four rounds of ten repetitions each. I increase the weight after each round. After back squat I move on to the leg press; I use this for both thighs and calves. Seated leg curl and Leg extension are usually how I finish off the day.

Arms, Abs, and Circuit:

I workout my arms and abs on the same day to break them up (they’re not my favorite). I use a circuit training method to work out these parts of my body. For example, I’ll do 30 sit ups, 20 push ups and a one minute plank. After a thirty second break I use ten pound weights to do 15 bicep curls, one hundred russian twists, and 15 repetitions of raising both arms straight up out of my sides. I alternate these sets until I’ve done them three times each.

Yoga:

Sometimes to give my body a break, I’ll take a day and only do yoga. This is a great way to engage all the muscles of your body while building strength, improving flexibility and giving your body a great stretch. Not to mention it’s relaxing and mentally beneficial.

Public relations major, bussiness admin and web design minor, knowledge lover, ring wearer, water drinker, Jersey raised.  Can be found upside down on a yoga mat, walking my dog, snapping photos, or laughing with friends. XO, namaste!