This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Day 1: 

I had been struggling with anxiety for the past two weeks, and my therapist suggested I try yoga. I initially thought she was full of it, but ultimately decided I should try out this potential solution.

I knew there were yoga classes I could sign up for at the ARC but I was too intimidated to try it out before.  However, I decided to sign up for Monday’s 6:30 a.m. sunrise yoga class. I considered canceling the night before, but I pushed through and forced myself to go since I didn’t want to be a no-show.

So, I got up at 5:45 a.m., got ready, and headed to the gym. I walked in, still intimidated and apprehensive, and glanced around. Everybody had blankets and wood blocks, so I grabbed them too, even though I didn’t know what they were for. 

I was so nervous and felt like I was being judged, but I told myself I was just getting in my own head; everybody else was just focusing on themselves and their flows. Once I got that through my head, I was slowly able to be mindful and focus on what I was doing. 

I didn’t do everything perfectly, but I tried my best. The instructors were very gentle and kind. They mentioned different ways you can modify certain movements to best fit your needs, because ultimately the practice is for you and your body.

Once the class was over, I felt rejuvenated and I had forgotten about being tired and stressed an hour earlier. I was ready to take on the day! While being in that headspace, I made breakfast, went to my classes, attended two club meetings, and I finished all the homework that I had procrastinated on the weekend before. I was tired, but in a good way, because I had finally been productive throughout the day.

Day 2: 

I enjoyed the class so much that I signed up for another class the following day. This time the class was at 8:30 a.m. and was labeled Vinyasa Yoga. This class was a little harder for me as a beginner with little to no core or upper body strength, but from the get-go I could see great potential in my improvement. The main themes were there once again: mindfulness, breathing, and setting intentions for the day. I felt good about going to my class knowing that I didn’t just sleep in. My head was clear, and I was ready to take on the day once again!

Day 3:

I decided to take a break from yoga on Wednesday just because a class didn’t fit with my schedule. Instead, I attended a meditation and breathwork class at 8:15  p.m. –  my first night class. 

The instructor told us to envision a bubble and think of a good memory or a dream of ours. Throughout this meditation, I was in this bubble, and then the bubble went inside us. I envisioned the images that the instructor told us to. I found myself emotional, reflecting on my journey throughout the past week and how more at peace I felt taking care of myself and trying to practice mindfulness. I was relieved and found myself releasing the day I had. It was a quick 30-minute meditation but it helped me relax and decompress and once I went home, I was ready to sleep.

Final Day:

I decided to sign up for one more sunrise yoga class on Thursday, another sunrise yoga, at 6:30 a.m. which was refreshing and also energizing. I had a very productive day and felt fulfilled with my day and week.

Overall, this week has provided me with clarity and motivation. Going to yoga and practicing mindfulness doesn’t just help in the classes but also outside in my daily life as well.

I was productive during the day even when I woke up early because I was energized by yoga and motivated to become more active  in my classes and my day-to-day life. My focus is better while in class and completing homework, I feel good about my body and mind, and I am proud of myself for trying something new and establishing a routine. I will continue trying to go to yoga classes because I have seen many benefits. I encourage students to take advantage of not just yoga but any workout classes or just going to the gym they have access to because it can benefit their mental and physical health.

Hello! My name is Elizabeth. I am a current sophomore at San Diego state studying Journalism. I enjoy writing whether its writing essays or journaling. I am from San Diego born and raised. I enjoy trying new cafes and restaurants.